LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept the doubles matches and won two singles outings rather quickly, as the ninth-ranked Bulldogs posted a 5-0 victory over UVA-Wise on Tuesday in the quarterfinals of the Mid-South Conference Championships at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Bulldogs (16-3) advance to Friday’s semifinals to face the winner of Georgetown College and the University of Pikeville at 1 p.m. Central Time at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex on the University of Kentucky campus in Lexington, Ky.
CU swept the doubles matches, with 21st-ranked Pedro Rodrigues and Antonio Manuel Marcelo posting an 8-2 victory over Vladyslav Akimenko and Marc Huff at No. 1. Pablo Borrero and Sebastian Nava posted an 8-1 victory at No. 2 against Oleg Kopychenko and Zack Holcomb, while Andres Burgos and Jeremy Fleming recorded an 8-0 win at No. 3 versus Jon Saado and John Dotson.
In singles Fleming defeated Jimmy Stewart, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 4 and Dylan Nelson posted a 6-0, 6-1, victory at No. 6 against Michael Baker.
#9 Cumberland Univ. 5, UVA-Wise 0
1. #19 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) vs. Vladyslav Akimenko (UVAW), 6-0, DNF
2. Andres Burgos (CU) vs. Marc Huff (UVAW), 6-0, 4-0, DNF
3. Sebastian Nava (CU) vs. Oleg Kopychenko (UVAW), 6-2, 2-1, DNF
4. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Jimmy Stewart (UVAW), 6-0, 6-0
5. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) vs. Zack Holcomb (UVAW), 6-0, 5-1, DNF
6. Dylan Nelson (CU) def. Michael Baker (UVAW), 6-0, 6-1
1. #21 Pedro Rodrigues-Marcelo (CU) def. Akimenko-Huff (UVAW), 8-2
2. Pablo Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Kopychenko-Holcomb (UVAW), 8-1
3. Burgos-Fleming (CU) def. Jon Saado-John Dotson (UVAW), 8-0