LEBANON, Tenn. – Antonio Manuel Marcelo clinched the deciding point and freshmen Pablo Borrero and Sebastian Nava also provided singles victories in ninth-ranked Cumberland’s 5-2 win over No. 7 Bethel University in the Round of 16 at the NAIA Championships in Mobile, Ala. The Bulldogs won their opening match on Tuesday, 9-0, over the host school, the University of Mobile.
With the victory Cumberland (19-4) advances to the quarterfinals of the national tournament for the first time in program history. The Bulldogs will face second-ranked Auburn Montgomery on Thursday at 9 a.m. CU dropped a 7-2 decision to the Warhawks in Lebanon on March 22 this season.
Cumberland won 2-of-3 doubles matches against Bethel, with Borrero and Nava posting an 8-5 victory at No. 2 over Paolo Vecchi and Nicola Salvik and the 17th-ranked duo of Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues defeating 12th-ranked Peter Baca and Robin Demasse, 9-7, at No. 1, giving CU a 2-1 lead. Bethel’s Eduardo Espinar and Travis Hyman won at No. 3, 8-6, against Jeremy Fleming and Andres Burgos.
The Wildcats (20-2) evened the match at two, with Espinar posting a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Fleming at No. 6, but the Bulldogs took control in four of the five remaining singles outings and closed out the match with three straight wins.
Borrero gave CU a 3-2 edge with a 6-1, 6-3, victory at No. 3 over Vecchi and Nava added to the advantage with a 6-3, 7-5, win at No. 5 against Hyman. Marcelo closed out the triumph, defeating Baca for the fourth straight time overall and second time this season, 7-6, 6-1.
Cumberland swept through its first-round match against Mobile, posting straight-set victories in all six singles outings and winning either 8-3 or 8-4 in all three doubles tilts.
Marcelo and Rodrigues defeated Fernando Paiva and Karlis Stonis, 8-3, at No. 1 doubles, while Burgos and Fleming won by the same score at No. 3 over Lucas Tristao and Guilherme Arcaro. Borrero and Nava posted an 8-4 win at No. 2 versus Santiago Casucci and Marcio Dal Pont
In singles Marcelo, ranked 27th nationally, registered a 6-1, 6-2, victory at No. 1 against Paiva, while 35th-ranked Rodrigues claimed a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 2 versus Tristao and Borrero posted a 6-4, 6-2, triumph over Stonis at No. 3. Burgos won 6-4, 6-4, at No. 4 versus Dal Pont, Nava recorded a 6-3, 6-4, win at No. 5 against Casucci and Fleming defeated Arcaro, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 6.
#9 Cumberland Univ. 9, Univ. of Mobile 0
1. #27 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Fernando Paiva (MOB), 6-1, 6-2
2. #35 Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Lucas Tristao (MOB), 6-1, 6-0
3. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Karlis Stonis (MOB), 6-4, 6-2
4. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Marcio Dal Pont (MOB), 6-4, 6-4
5. Sebastian Nava (CU) def. Santiago Casucci (MOB), 6-3, 6-4
6. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Guilherme Arcaro (MOB), 6-4, 6-3
1. #17 Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. Paiva-Stonis (MOB), 8-3
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Casucci-Dal Pont (MOB), 8-4
3. Burgos-Fleming (CU) def. Tristao-Arcaro (MOB), 8-3
#9 Cumberland Univ. 5, #7 Bethel Univ. 2
1. #27 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Peter Baca (BETH), 7-6, 6-1
2. #35 Pedro Rodrigues (CU) vs. Robin Demasse (BETH), 6-7, 5-4, DNF
3. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Paolo Vecchi (BETH), 6-1, 6-3
4. Andres Burgos (CU) vs. Nikola Salvik (BETH), 6-4, 4-1, DNF
5. Sebastian Nava (CU) def. Travis Hyman (BETH), 6-3, 7-5
6. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Jeremy Fleming (CU), 6-0, 6-1
1. #17 Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. #12 Baca‐Demasse (BETH), 9-7
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Vecchi‐Salvik (BETH), 8-5
3. Hyman‐Espinar (BETH) def. Burgos-Fleming (CU), 8-6
Order of Finish – Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,3,5,1)