LEBANON, Tenn. – Freshman Pablo Borrero posted victories in singles and doubles but it was not enough, as No. 9 Cumberland’s season came to an end with a 5-2 loss Thursday to second-ranked Auburn Montgomery in the quarterfinals of the NAIA Championships in Mobile, Ala.
The Bulldogs (19-5) reached the quarterfinals of the national tournament for the first time in program history after defeating the University of Mobile and seventh-ranked Bethel University earlier in the week.
AUM (20-3) started the match quickly with two doubles victories to take an early lead.
AUM’s Tim Hewitt and Bence Toth, ranked third nationally, defeated No. 17 Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues, 8-5, at No. 1 and Nicolas Pinones-Haltenhoff and Miguel Grifol posted an 8-3 win at No. 3 over Jeremy Fleming and Andres Burgos. Borrero and fellow freshman Sebastian Nava recorded an 8-6 victory for the Bulldogs at No. 2 versus Josh Reason and Othmane Lalami.
The Warhawks posted three straight-set wins in singles to close out the victory.
Pinones-Haltenhoff, the top-ranked player in the nation, defeated Marcelo, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 1, while eighth-ranked Hewitt posted a 6-1, 6-3, victory against No. 35 Rodrigues at No. 2 and Grifol claimed a 6-3, 6-3, win versus Burgos at No. 4. Borrero ended the season with his eighth straight victory and 13th in the last 14 outings with a 6-1, 6-4, triumph at No. 3 against Toth.
Nava split sets at No. 5 versus Zinelabidine Jouini and Fleming lost the first set and was tied at 5-all in the second set against Lalami at No. 6.
#2 Auburn Montgomery 5, #9 Cumberland Univ. 2
1. #1 Nicolas Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUM) def. #27 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU), 6-4, 6-4
2. #8 Tim Hewitt (AUM) def. #35 Pedro Rodrigues (CU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Bence Toth (AUM), 6-1, 6-4
4. Miguel Grifol (AUM) def. Andres Burgos (CU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Sebastian Nava (CU) vs. Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM), 6-4, 3-6, DNF
6. Jeremy Fleming (CU) vs. Othmane Lalami (AUM), 1-6, 5-5
1. #3 Hewitt-Toth (AUM) def. #17 Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU), 8-5
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Josh Reason-Lalami (AUM), 8-6
3. Pinones-Halterhoff-Grifol (AUM) def. Burgos-Fleming (CU), 8-3