LEBANON, Tenn. – Freshman Diogo Soares posted a singles victory and Pedro Rodrigues and Andres Burgos won in doubles, but Belmont University registered a 4-1 triumph over Cumberland in men’s tennis action Sunday night at Wildwood Tennis Club in Nashville, Tenn.
The Bulldogs, ranked seventh in the NAIA, have dropped both of their matches this season to NCAA Division I competition.
The Bruins (2-3) posted two easy wins in doubles, with Mauricio Antun and Marko Lovrinovic defeated Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pablo Borrero, 8-0, at No. 1 and Henrik Claesson and Cedric Dujacquier taking an 8-2 decision over Soares and Garry Tokas at No. 2. Burgos and Rodrigues won a tiebreaker, 7-5, at No. 3 versus Martijn Verberne and Hans Nardelli.
In singles Belmont’s victories in a pair of tiebreakers set the tone for the rest of the match, including Antun’s 7-5 score at No. 1 in the first set against Marcelo. Antun took the second set, 6-1.
Rodrigues dropped his second straight three-set outing, this one to Lovrinovic at No. 2, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-1, and Borrero lost a 6-4, 6-4, decision to Dujacquier at No. 3 Soares was the only bright spot in singles for Cumberland, recording a 6-4, 6-1, victory over Verberne at No. 4.
Cumberland plays again March 6-8 at the AUM Spring Invitational in Montgomery, Ala.
Belmont Univ. 4, Cumberland Univ. 1
1. Mauricio Antun (BEL) def. Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU), 7-6 (5), 6-1
2. Marko Lovrinovic (BEL) def. Pedro Rodrigues (CU), 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-1
3. Cedric Dujacquier (BEL) def. Pablo Borrero (CU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Martijn Verberne (BEL), 6-4, 6-1
5. Henrik Claesson (BEL) vs. Andres Burgos (CU), 4-3, DNF
6. Hans Nardelli (BEL) vs. Garry Tokas (CU), 6-2, 2-1, DNF
1. Antun-Lovrinovic (BEL) def. Borrero-Marcelo (CU), 8-0
2. Claesson-Dujacquier (BEL) def. Soares-Tokas (CU), 8-2
3. Burgos-Rodrigues (CU) def. Verberne-Nardelli (BEL), 8-7 (5)