LEBANON, Tenn. – Antonio Manual Marcelo posted a three-set victory in singles and won his doubles match, but ninth-ranked Xavier split the singles outings and registered victories at the last two doubles spots in a 5-4 triumph over No. 7 Cumberland on Saturday at the AUM Spring Invitational in Montgomery, Ala.
The Bulldogs (1-3) split the two matches in the tournament and will travel to Daytona Beach for Tuesday’s match against top-ranked Embry-Riddle.
Marcelo and Diogo Soares collected a doubles win in a tiebreaker with Nikita Soifer and Kyle Montrel, but Tushar Mandlekar and Kevin Chaoluat posted an 8-4 victory at No. 2 over Pablo Borrero and Garry Tokas and Adam Albrecht and Jordan Harrell claimed a win by the same score at No. 3 versus Pedro Rodrigues and Andres Burgos for the Gold Rush (4-5).
In singles 21st-ranked Marcelo came back from a set down to defeat No. 39 Montrel at No. 1, 4-6, 6-3, 10-4 in the supertiebreaker, while Borrero won at No. 3 against Viktor Swoboda, 6-4, 6-0, and Burgos also registered a three-set victory at No. 5 against Albrecht, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.
Xavier’s 22nd-ranked Soifer defeated Rodrigues, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 2, Harrell posted a 6-4, 7-6, win versus Soares at No. 4 and Chaoluat recorded a 6-1, 6-2, victory against Tokas at No. 6.
#9 Xavier [LA] Univ. 5, #7 Cumberland Univ. 4
1. #21 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. #39 Kyle Montrel (XU), 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
2. #22 Nikita Soifer (XU) def. Pedro Rodrigues (CU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Viktor Swoboda (XU), 6-4, 6-0
4. Jordan Harrell (XU) def. Diogo Soares (CU), 6-4, 7-6
5. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Adam Albrecht (XU), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. Kevin Chaoluat (XU) def. Garry Tokas (CU), 6-2, 6-1
1. Marcelo-Soares (CU) def. Soifer-Montrel (XU), 9-8
2. Tushar Mandlekar-Chaoluat (XU) def. Borrero-Tokas (CU), 8-4
3. Albrecht-Harrell (XU) def. Rodrigues-Burgos (CU), 8-4