LEBANON, Tenn. – Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pablo Borrero each registered three-set singles wins at the top two spots in the lineup and eighth-ranked Cumberland posted a 7-2 victory over No. 13 Graceland University at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Bulldogs (2-4) evened their record at 2-2 against NAIA competition this spring, with all four outings against ranked opponents, in the home opener for the squad. CU won at the last two doubles positions and the top five singles spots en route to the victory.
Borrero and Andres Burgos defeated David James Parker and Brezile Hamilton, 8-4, at No. 2 and Pedro Rodrigues and Garry Tokas claimed an 8-5 win at No. 3 over Jamie Sordyl and Oscar Chang Tun Jie. Graceland’s fifth-ranked Birkir Gunnarson and Jose Daniele Razo Torres posted an 8-4 win versus Marcelo and Diogo Soares at No. 1.
Marcelo, ranked 16th nationally in singles, recorded a 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, win against No. 9 Gunnarson at No. 1 singles and Borrero, moving up one spot in the order for the match, also posted a three-set victory, this one against 23rd-ranked Razo Torres, 6-3, 2-6, 6-1.
Rodrigues collected a 6-4, 6-2, triumph at No. 3 versus Sordyl, Soares won 6-2, 6-4, over Hamilton at No. 4 and Burgos registered a 6-1, 6-2, victory against Gustavo Yanez at No. 5. Chang Tun Jie picked up Graceland’s other point in the match with a 2-6, 7-5, 10-4, win over Tokas at No. 6.
Cumberland takes on seventh-ranked Xavier [LA] University on Sunday at 10 a.m. at home. The Bulldogs lost a 5-4 decision to Xavier on March 8 in Montgomery, Ala.
#8 Cumberland Univ. 7, #13 Graceland Univ. 2
1. #16 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. #9 Birkir Gunnarson (GU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. #23 Jose Daniele Razo Torres (GU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Jamie Sordyl (GU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Brezile Hamilton (GU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Gustavo Yanez (GU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Oscar Chang Tun Jie (GU) def. Garry Tokas (CU), 2-6, 7-5, 10-4
1. #5 Gunnarson-Razo Torres (GU) def. Marcelo-Soares (CU), 8-4
2. Borrero-Burgos (CU) def. David James Parker-Hamilton (GU), 8-4
3. Rodrigues-Tokas (CU) def. Sordyl-Chang Tun Jie (GU), 8-5