LEBANON, Tenn. – Antonio Manuel Marcelo, Pedro Rodrigues and Diogo Soares each posted victories in singles and doubles and eighth-ranked Cumberland avenged an earlier loss this month with a 5-2 victory over No. 7 Xavier [LA] University on Sunday in men’s tennis action at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Bulldogs dropped a 5-4 decision to Xavier in Montgomery, Ala., on March 8, with the Gold Rush taking a pair of doubles wins and splitting the singles matches. On Sunday Cumberland picked up the two doubles points to jump out to an early lead and Soares provided a three-set singles victory to go with wins by Marcelo and Rodrigues to finish off the match.
Marcelo and Soares, ranked 10th nationally in doubles, defeated 12th-ranked Kyle Montrel and Nikita Soifer, 8-2, at No. 1 doubles, but Xavier’s Kevin Chaouat and Tushar Mandlekar posted an 8-6 win at No. 2 versus Pablo Borrero and Andres Burgos. Rodrigues and Garry Tokas’ 8-6 win at No. 3 against Adam Albrecht and Viktor Svoboda provided an early margin for the Bulldogs.
Marcelo, ranked 16th in the nation in singles, defeated 17th-ranked Montrel for the second time this season, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 1 and Rodrigues posted his second straight singles triumph, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 4 versus Mandlekar. Vincenzo Ciccone picked up another point for Xavier with a 6-4, 6-4, win over Tokas at No. 6, but Soares’ 6-4, 3-6, 6-2, victory at No. 3 over Jordan Harrell sealed the win for Cumberland.
The Bulldogs play at home again this coming Friday against St. Catharine College before hitting the road for five straight matches.
#8 Cumberland Univ. 5, #7 Xavier Univ. 2
1. #16 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. #17 Kyle Montrel (XU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) vs. #40 Nikita Soifer (XU), 4-6, 6-6, DNF
3. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Jordan Harrell (XU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Tushar Mandlekar (XU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Andres Burgos (CU) vs. Adam Albrecht (XU), 4-6, 6-4, 2-0, DNF
6. Vincenzo Ciccone (XU) def. Garry Tokas (CU), 6-4, 6-4
1. #10 Marcelo-Soares (CU) def. #12 Montrel-Soifer (XU), 8-2
2. Kevin Chaouat-Mandlekar (XU) def. Borrero-Burgos (CU), 8-6
3. Rodrigues-Tokas (CU) def. Albrecht-Svoboda (XU), 8-6