LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept the doubles matches and posted victories in four of the six singles outings, as the eighth-ranked Bulldogs won their fourth straight in a 7-2 victory over the University of the Cumberlands in men’s tennis action Sunday in Williamsburg, Ky.
Cumberland (5-4, 2-0 Mid-South) started the match with three doubles wins, as Andres Burgos and Pablo Borrero defeated Daryl MacLeish and Tyler Smith, 8-4, at No. 1 and Pedro Rodrigues and Garry Tokas collected an 8-6 win at No. 3 over Danilo Garcia and Eduardo Cabrera. Tenth-ranked Diogo Soares and Antonio Manuel Marcelo outlasted Ariez Heshaam and Dan Fraser, 9-8 (6), at No. 1, giving CU a 3-0 lead heading to singles.
Heshaam defeated 16th-ranked Marcelo, 6-3, in the first set before Marcelo retired at No. 1 and Kenny Wilsons posted a 6-1, 6-2, victory at No. 6 versus Dylan Nelson for the Patriots (8-4, 4-2) two points in the match.
Borrero collected a 6-0, 6-4, win against Fraser at No. 2, while Rodrigues won 6-4, 6-2, over Cabrera at No. 3, Burgos led 5-2 over Garcia at No. 4 before he retired and Tokas registered a 6-4, 6-2, victory versus Smith at No. 5.
Cumberland continues its current five-match road swing with outings at Martin Methodist on Tuesday and second-ranked Auburn Montgomery on Friday.
#8 Cumberland Univ. 7, Univ. of the Cumberlands 2
1. Ariez Heshaam (UC) def. #16 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU), 6-3, retired
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Dan Fraser (UC), 6-0, 6-4
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Eduardo Cabrera (UC), 6-4, 6-2
4. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Danilo Garcia (UC), 5-2, retired
5. Garry Tokas (CU) def. Tyler Smith (UC), 6-4, 6-2
6. Kenny Wilsons (UC) def. Dylan Nelson (CU), 6-1, 6-2
1. #10 Diogo Soares-Marcelo (CU) def. Heshaam-Fraser (UC), 9-8 (6)
2. Burgos-Borrero (CU) def. Smith-Daryl MacLeish (UC), 8-4
3. Rodrigues-Tokas (CU) def. Garcia-Cabrera (UC), 8-6