LEBANON, Tenn. – Eighth-ranked Cumberland registered wins at the top fight spots in singles and won a pair of doubles outings in a 7-2 victory over Martin Methodist in men’s tennis action Tuesday in Pulaski, Tenn.
The Bulldogs (6-4) won their fifth straight match overall and started the outing strong with a pair of doubles wins.
Pablo Borrero and Andres Burgos defeated Salomon Persson and Daniel Emirzian, 8-3, at No. 2 and Pedro Rodrigues and Garry Tokas claimed an 8-4 victory at No. 3 over Farith Lozano and Gabriel Ajala. MMC’s Ramiro Vargas and Cristian Arias outlasted 10th-ranked Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Diogo Doares, 7-5, in a tiebreaker at No. 1.
Cumberland collected wins at the top fight spots in singles, as Borrero won the first set, 6-2, and led 2-0 before Vargas retired at No. 1. Soares registered a 6-1, 6-4, victory, at No. 2 against Arias and Rodrigues came back to defeat Persson, 2-6, 6-4, 10-7, at No. 3.
Burgos posted a 6-2, 6-2, win versus Lozano at No. 4 and Tokas collected a 6-4, 6-1, victory over Ajala at No. 5. MMC’s Emirzian won 6-2, 7-5, against Dylan Nelson at No. 6 for the RedHawks (5-10) other point in the match.
Cumberland plays at second-ranked Auburn Montgomery on Friday at 2 p.m. and travels to No. 6 Lindsey Wilson next Wednesday to end the current five-match road swing.
#8 Cumberland Univ. 7, Martin Methodist 2
1. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Ramiro Vargas (MMC), 6-2, 2-0, retired
2. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Cristian Arias (MMC), 6-1, 6-4
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Salomon Persson (MMC), 2-6, 7-6 (4), 10-7
4. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Farith Lozano (MMC), 6-2, 6-2
5. Garry Tokas (CU) def. Gabriel Ajala (MMC), 6-4, 6-1
6. Daniel Emirzian (MMC) def. Dylan Nelson (CU), 6-2, 7-5
1. Vargas-Arias (MMC) def. #10 Antonio Manuel Marcelo-Soares (CU), 9-8 (5)
2. Borrero-Burgos (CU) def. Persson-Emirzian (MMC), 8-3
3. Rodrigues-Tokas (CU) def. Lozano-Ajala (MMC), 8-4