LEBANON, Tenn. – Andres Burgos and Diogo Soares helped seventh-ranked Cumberland come from behind with singles victories in the final two matches on the court, as the seventh-ranked Bulldogs posted a 5-4 win over No. 6 Lindsey Wilson on Wednesday in Columbia, Ky.
Cumberland (7-4, 3-0 Mid-South) lost 5-4 and 5-3 to the Blue Raiders last season in matches that lasted over five hours on both occasions. It ended a four-match losing streak to LWC and CU improved to 3-9 all-time versus Lindsey Wilson (9-2, 4-1) since the 2001 season.
The Blue Raiders won the first doubles match, with Pablo Vilches and Edberg Espinoza posting an 8-4 win at No. 3 over Pedro Rodrigues and Garry Tokas, but 10th-ranked Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Soares evened the doubles with an 8-6 victory at No. 1 over Ignacio Huertas and Raul Mendez. Pablo Borrero and Burgos gave the Bulldogs an early lead with a 9-7 triumph at No. 2 against eighth-ranked Francisco Charters and Fabricio Morales.
Sixteenth-ranked Marcelo pushed the advantage to 3-1 with a 6-2, 6-1, victory at No. 1 over Mendez, but Lindsey Wilson stormed back to take the lead with three straight wins.
Espinoza, ranked 18th nationally, defeated Borrero, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 2, while 43rd-ranked Morales won 6-1, 6-4, versus Rodrigues at No. 3 and Vilches claimed a 6-3, 6-4, victory against Tokas at No. 6.
Burgos evened the match once again with a 6-4, 6-4, win at No. 5 versus Huertas, leaving the deciding match on the court between Soares at Charters at No. 4. LWC won the opening set, 6-3, but the Cumberland freshman squared the match with a 6-4 second-set win. He then broke Charters and took a 3-0 lead in the final set en route to a 6-1 final score and the team victory for the Bulldogs.
Cumberland plays at Georgetown College on Saturday before returning home April 15 to take on Campbellsville University at 2 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts. CU plays three of its final four regular season matches at home, including April 19 versus the University of Pikeville and April 22 against Bethel University.
#7 Cumberland Univ. 5, #6 Lindsey Wilson 4
1. #16 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Raul Mendez (LWC), 6-2, 6-1
2. #18 Edberg Espinoza (LWC) def. Pablo Borrero (CU), 6-4, 6-2
3. #43 Fabricio Morales (LWC) def. Pedro Rodrigues (CU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Francisco Charters (LWC), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Ignacio Huertas (LWC), 6-4, 6-4
6. Pablo Vilches (LWC) def. Garry Tokas (CU), 6-3, 6-4
1. #10 Marcelo-Soares (CU) def. Huertas-Mendez (LWC), 8-6
2. Borrero-Burgos (CU) def. #8 Charters-Morales (LWC), 9-7
3. Vilches-Espinoza (LWC) def. Rodrigues-Tokas (CU), 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,3,6,5,4)