LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland posted victories at the top four spots in singles and won again at No. 2 doubles, as the seventh-ranked Bulldogs recorded their seventh consecutive victory, 7-2, over Georgetown College on Saturday in Georgetown, Ky.
The Bulldogs (8-4) improved to 4-0 in MSC play as well with three conference outings remaining before the MSC Championships on April 24-26 in Georgetown, Ky.
Andres Burgos and Pablo Borrero posted an 8-5 victory over Chris Bartlett and Jacob Loveland at No. 2 doubles and CU picked up a point at No. 3 with a default, but Georgetown’s Gustavo Echeverria and Ryne Least outlasted 10th-ranked Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Diogo Soares, 7-1, in a tiebreaker at No. 1.
Cumberland rebounded with four straight wins in singles, with Borrero defeating Echeverria, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 1 and Pedro Rodrigues picking up a 6-2, 4-6, 10-2, victory over Least at No. 2. Soares registered a 6-0, 6-2, win at No. 3 versus Ryan Simms and Burgos claimed a 6-1, 6-3, triumph over Bartlett at No. 5. CU also got a default at No. 6.
Loveland posted Georgetown’s other point in the match with a 6-2, 3-6, 10-2, victory at No. 5 against Garry Tokas.
Cumberland hosts Campbellsville University at 2 p.m. on Tuesday in the first of three matches this week. CU travels to Bluefield College on Thursday and takes on the University of Pikeville at home in Saturday.
#7 Cumberland Univ. 7, Georgetown College 2
1. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Gustavo Echeverria (GC), 6-4, 6-2
2. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Ryne Least (GC), 6-2, 4-6, 10-4
3. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Ryan Simms (GC), 6-0, 6-2
4. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Chris Bartlett (GC), 6-1, 6-3
5. Jacob Loveland (GC) def. Garry Tokas (CU), 6-2, 3-6, 10-2
6. Dylan Nelson (CU) won by default
1. Echeverria- Least (GC) def. #10 Antonio Manuel Marcelo-Soares (CU), 9-8 (1)
2. Borrero-Burgos (CU) def. Bartlett-Loveland (GC), 8-5
3. Rodrigues-Tokas (CU) won by default