LEBANON, Tenn. – The sixth-ranked Cumberland men’s tennis team lost just one set en route to a 9-0 victory over Campbellsville University and the team’s eighth consecutive win overall on Wednesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Bulldogs (9-4, 5-0 Mid-South) play at home again Thursday against Bluefield College and also host 21st-ranked University of Pikeville on Saturday as well as 18th-ranked Bethel University on April 22 to end the regular season.
Cumberland started the match with three straight doubles wins, with Diogo Soares and Garry Tokas defeated Noah Swencki and Parker Jones at No. 3, 8-1, and Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues claimed an 8-4 victory versus Sebastian Marot and Zach Baulch, 8-4, at No. 1. Pablo Borrero and Andres Burgos outlasted Pontus Blom and Alejandro Soriano at No. 2, 9-7.
Twelfth-ranked Marcelo posted a 6-1, 6-2, singles victory over Marot at No. 1, while Soares did not lose a game in a straight-set win against Jones at No. 4 and Rodrigues registered a 6-1, 6-4, triumph at No. 3 versus Johan Fuzellier.
Borrero lost the first set but came back with a 2-6, 6-4, 10-4, victory versus Soriano at No. 2, Burgos collected a 6-3, 6-3, win against Baulch at No. 5 and Tokas finished off the triumph with a 6-2, 6-4, victory over Eduardo Mendoza at No. 6.
#6 Cumberland Univ. 9, Campbellsville Univ. 0
1. #12 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Sebastian Marot (CAMP), 6-1, 6-2
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Alejandro Soriano (CAMP), 2-6, 6-4, 10-4
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Johan Fuzellier (CAMP), 6-1, 6-4
4. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Parker Jones (CAMP), 6-0, 6-0
5. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Zach Baulch (CAMP), 6-3, 6-3
6. Garry Tokas (CU) def. Eduardo Mendoza (CAMP), 6-2, 6-4
1. Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. Marot-Baulch (CAMP), 8-4
2. Borrero-Burgos (CU) def. Pontus Blom-Soriano (CAMP), 9-7
3. Soares-Tokas (CU) def. Noah Swencki-Jones (CAMP), 8-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,3,2,5,6)