LEBANON, Tenn. – Sixth-ranked Cumberland won all three doubles outings and the top five spots in singles, posting an 8-1 victory over Bluefield College on Thursday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Bulldogs (10-4, 6-0 Mid-South) won for the ninth straight time and can clinch the regular season conference championship with a victory Saturday over 21st-ranked University of Pikeville.
CU started strong with three easy victories in doubles, as Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues defeated Markel Aramberri and Lochlan Kitchen, 8-3, at No. 1, while Andres Burgos and Pablo Borrero won 8-1 against Carlton Tugman and James Gunn at No. 2 and Diogo Soares and Garry Tokas posted the same score at No. 3 versus Borja Jimenez and Chas Stonestreet.
In singles Borrero registered an 8-4 win at No. 1 over Aramberri, Rodrigues recorded an 8-6 victory at No. 2 versus Kitchen and Soares posted a 6-0, 6-1, triumph against Tugman at No. 3. Burgos defeated Jimenez, 6-1, 6-2, over Jimenez at No. 4 and Tokas collected a 6-2, 6-0, victory against Stonestreet at No. 5.
Gunn claimed Bluefield’s only point in the match with a 9-7 win at No. 6 against Dylan Nelson.
#6 Cumberland Univ. 8, Bluefield College 1
1. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Markel Aramberri (BLUE), 8-4
2. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Lochlan Kitchen (BLUE), 8-6
3. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Carlton Tugman (BLUE), 6-0, 6-1
4. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Borja Jimenez (BLUE), 6-1, 6-2
5. Garry Tokas (CU) def. Chas Stonestreet (BLUE), 6-2, 6-0
6. James Gunn (BLUE) def. Dylan Nelson (CU), 9-7
1. Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. Aramberri-Kitchen (BLUE), 8-3
2. Borrero-Burgos (CU) def. Tugman-Gunn (BLUE), 8-1
3. Soares-Tokas (CU) def. Stonestreet-Jimenez (BLUE), 8-1