LEBANON, Tenn. – Sixth-ranked Cumberland posted two doubles wins and five singles victories, defeating Bethel University, 7-2, in men’s tennis action in the final regular season match for the Bulldogs on Tuesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland (12-4) won its 11th straight match overall and head into this week’s Mid-South Conference Championships as the No. 1 seed after claiming the regular season conference title this past weekend. The Bulldogs open play in the tournament at 1 p.m. Central Time on Thursday against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.
CU’s Pablo Borrero and Andres Burgos registered an 8-1 victory at No. 2 doubles over Travis Hyman and Nikola Slavik and Diogo Soares and Garry Tokas claimed an 8-5 win versus Joshua Barrett Phelps and Paolo Vecchi at No. 3. Bethel’s Peter Baca and Robin Demasse recorded an 8-5 triumph at No. 1 against Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues.
Baca, ranked 24th nationally in singles, collected a 6-4, 7-5, victory at No. 1 over 12th-ranked Marcelo, but the Bulldogs won the other five singles outings, including four in straight sets.
Borrero posted a 6-2, 6-3, win against Demasse at No. 2, while Rodrigues defeated Vecchi, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 3 and Soares registered a 6-1, 6-1, victory at No. 4 versus Slavik. Burgos came back from a set down to record a 6-7, 6-3, 6-0, win over Hyman at No. 5 and Tokas posted a 6-4, 6-2, victory at No. 6 versus Phelps.
#6 Cumberland Univ. 7, #18 Bethel Univ. 2
1. #24 Peter Baca (BU) def. #12 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU), 6-4, 7-5
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Robin Demasse (BU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Paolo Vecchi (BU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Nikola Slavik (BU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Travis Hyman (BU), 6-7, 6-3, 6-0
6. Garry Tokas (CU) def. Joshua Barrett Phelps (BU), 6-4, 6-2
1. Baca-Demasse (BU) def. Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU), 8-5
2. Borrero-Burgos (CU) def. Hyman-Slavik (BU), 8-1
3. Soares-Tokas (CU) def. Phelps-Vecchi (BU), 8-5