GEORGETOWN, Ky. – Cumberland swept the doubles matches, won three singles outings and led by a set in the other three singles matches, as the sixth-ranked Bulldogs defeated Bluefield College in the quarterfinals of the Mid-South Conference Men’s Tennis Championships here Thursday at Brooking Park.
Cumberland (13-4) won its 12th match in a row and advanced to the tournament semifinals on Friday at 1 p.m. Central Time against Campbellsville University at Georgetown College’s Lackey Tennis Center.
The Bulldogs started quickly with three doubles wins, as Pablo Borrero and Andres Burgos posted an 8-0 victory over Chas Stonestreet and Borja Jimenez at No. 2, while Garry Tokas and Diogo Soares claimed an 8-3 win versus James Gunn and Carlton Tugman at No. 3 before Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues registered an 8-4 triumph against Lochlan Kitchen and Markel Aramberri at No. 1.
Rodrigues was the first off in singles, recording a 6-3, 6-1, victory over Tugman at No. 3. Borrero and Burgos finished at almost the exact same time to finish off the team victory, with Borrero winning 6-3, 6-2, versus Kitchen at No. 2 and Burgos defeating Stonestreet, 6-0, 6-0.
#6 Cumberland Univ. 6, Bluefield College 0
1. #12 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) vs. Markel Aramberri (BLUE), 6-2, 4-0, DNF
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Lochlan Kitchen (BLUE), 6-3, 6-2
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Carlton Tugman (BLUE), 6-3, 6-1
4. Diogo Soares (CU) vs. Borja Jimenez (BLUE), 6-1, 1-0, DNF
5. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Chas Stonestreet (BLUE), 6-0, 6-0
6. Garry Tokas (CU) vs. James Gunn (BLUE), 6-3, DNF
1. Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. Kitchen-Aramberri (BLUE), 8-4
2. Borrero-Burgos (CU) def. Stonestreet-Jimenez (BLUE), 8-0
3. Soares-Tokas (CU) def. Gunn-Tugman (BLUE), 8-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,5)