LEBANON, Tenn. – Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues won a doubles tiebreaker and sixth-ranked Cumberland posted four singles victories in straight sets in a 5-3 decision over No. 11 Concordia [CA] University in the NAIA Men’s Tennis Championships on Thursday morning in Mobile, Ala.
With the win the Bulldogs (15-5) move into the quarterfinals of the national tournament for the second straight year and will meet third-ranked Georgia Gwinnett later Thursday at 5 p.m.
Cumberland started slowly in the match, with freshmen Diogo Soares and Garry Tokas dropping an 8-5 decision at No. 3 doubles to Moritz Pronath and Hayden Hensley and the Eagles claimed an 8-6 victory at No. 2, with Severin Diemand and Charles Cope winning over Pablo Borrero and Andres Burgos.
Marcelo and Rodrigues were locked in a see-saw affair against 11th-ranked Christian Wickenhauser and Jan Guler at No. 1, with the teams trading breaks in the final three games before the tiebreaker. CU jumped out 3-0 in the breaker and never looked back, pulling within 2-1 in the match.
Borrero quickly dispatched 37th-ranked Guler at No. 2 singles, 6-1, 6-2, evening the match at two, but Tokas dropped a 2-6, 2-6, decision at No. 6 to Hayden. Soares squared the match at three with a 6-1, 6-4, victory against Diemand and Burgos’ 6-3, 6-4, triumph at No. 5 versus Cope put the Bulldogs ahead for the first time in the match.
Marcelo, ranked 12th nationally in singles, clinched the victory with a 7-6, 6-4, win over No. 5 Wickenhauser at No. 1, his fifth win of the season over a ranked opponent.
#6 Cumberland Univ. 5, #11 Concordia [CA] Univ. 3
1. #12 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. #5 Christian Wickenhauser (CON), 7-6, 6-4
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. #37 Jan Guler (CON), 6-1, 6-2
3. #45 Moritz Pronath (CON) vs. Pedro Rodrigues (CU), 6-7, 2-5, DNF
4. Diogo Soares (CU) def. Severin Diemand (CON), 6-1, 6-4
5. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Charles Cope (CON), 6-3, 6-4
6. Hayden Hensley (CON) def. Garry Tokas (CU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. #11 Wickenhauser-Guler (CON), 9-8
2. Diemand-Cope (CON) def. Borrero-Burgos (CU), 8-6
3. Pronath-Hensley (CON) def. Soares-Tokas (CU), 8-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,6,4,5,1)