LEBANON, Tenn. – Pablo Borrero and Andres Burgos picked up a doubles win and Diogo Soates posted a single victory, but third-ranked Georgia Gwinnett was too much for No. 6 Cumberland in a 5-2 loss for the Bulldogs in the quarterfinals of the NAIA Championships late Thursday in Mobile, Ala.
Cumberland (15-6) ends its season with the defeat, the second straight year the Bulldogs lost in the quarterfinals of the national tournament. The Grizzlies (21-0) started the match with a pair of doubles triumphs.
Connor Clements and Matias Hatem defeated Soares and Garry Tokas, 8-2, at No. 3, but CU’s Burgos and Borrero won by the same score over Luke Morland and Erik Moberg at No. 2. GGC’s Bruno Tiberti and Mark Verryth gave the Grizzlies a 2-1 edge with an 8-4 victory over Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues at No. 1.
Georgia Gwinnett increased its lead with two quick singles wins, as Morland defeated Tokas, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 6 and 21st-ranked Hatem registered a 6-1, 6-0, triumph against Rodrigues at No. 3.
Soares cut into the deficit for the Bulldogs with a 6-4, 6-2, win against 50th-ranked Moberg at No. 4, but fourth-ranked Tiberti recorded the deciding victory at No. 2 against Borrero, 6-2, 6-1.
#3 Georgia Gwinnett 5, #6 Cumberland Univ. 2
1. #26 Mark Verryth (GGC) vs. Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU), 2-6, 3-1, DNF
2. #4 Bruno Tiberti (GGC) def. Pablo Borrero (CU), 6-2, 6-1
3. #21 Matias Hatem (GGC) def. Pedro Rodrigues (CU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Diogo Soares (CU) def. #50 Erik Moberg (GGC), 6-4, 6-2
5. Connor Clements (GGC) vs. Andres Burgos (CU), 6-3, 5-1, DNF
6. Luke Morland (GGC) def. Garry Tokas (CU), 6-0, 6-1
1. Tiberti-Verryth (GGC) def. Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU), 8-4
2. Borrero-Burgos (CU) def. Morland-Moberg (GGC), 8-2
3. Clements-Hatem (GGC) def. Soares-Tokas (CU), 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,3,4,2)