LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won a pair of doubles outings and two singles matches, but 16th-ranked Campbellsville University posted three-set singles victories at the top three spots and edged the 22nd-ranked Phoenix in men’s tennis action Tuesday in Campbellsville, Ky.
Cumberland (4-5, 1-1 Mid-South) plays again this Friday at seventh-ranked Lindsey Wilson at 1 p.m. CT in another key Mid-South Conference match.
The Phoenix stared with a pair of doubles wins, with Thiago Lopes and Azel Lucich defeating Vladyslav Ladygin and Alejandro Soriano, 8-2, at No. 1, but Campbellsville’s Adrian Sabrojo and Victor Ahlbeck posted an 8-6 victory at No. 2 over CU’s Anatoliy Lashkul and Jakov Tshirkin.
Alejandro Rosas Garcia and Jose Ortega Vela gave Cumberland the 2-1 edge after doubles with a 7-3 win in the tiebreaker at No. 3 versus Noah Swencki and Eduardo Mendoza.
The top three singles matches all went three sets, with Soriano outlasting Rosas Garcia, 1-6, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 2 to even the match at two. Lucich collected a 7-5, 6-2, victory at No. 4 to push the Phoenix ahead again, but Ladygin defeated Lashkul, 6-4, 5-7, 7-5, at No. 1 to square the match at three.
Sabrojo gave the Tigers their first lead with a 6-2, 6-7, 7-5, victory at No. 3 over Lopes, but Tshirkin won 6-2, 7-5, against Johan Fuzellier at No. 5 to tie the dual at four. Campbellsville’s Mendoza recorded a 7-5, 7-5, victory at No. 6 against Ortega Vela for the deciding point.
#16 Campbellsville Univ. 5, #22 Cumberland Univ. 4
1. #38 Vladyslav Ladygin (CAMP) def. Anatoliy Lashkul (CU), 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
2. Alejandro Soriano (CAMP) def. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU), 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Adrian Sabrojo (CAMP) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 6-2, 6-7, 7-5
4. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Victor Ahlbeck (CAMP), 7-5, 6-2
5. Jakov Tshirkin (CU) def. Johan Fuzellier (CAMP), 6-2, 7-5
6. Eduardo Mendoza (CAMP) def. Jose Ortega Vela (CU), 7-5, 7-5
1. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Ladygin-Soriano (CAMP), 8-2
2. Sabrojo-Ahlbeck (CAMP) def. Lashkul-Tshirkin (CU), 8-6
3. Rosas Garcia-Ortega Vela (CU) def. Noah Swencki-Mendoza (CAMP), 9-8 (3)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4,1,3,5,6)