LEBANON, Tenn. – Freshman Axel Lucich posted a straight-set victory at No. 4 singles for 22nd-ranked Cumberland, but second-ranked Auburn Montgomery swept the doubles and won the remaining singles outings in an 8-1 victory in men’s tennis action Wednesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix (6-7) dropped their fourth match in the last three weeks to a Top-10 ranked opponent.
The Warhawks (10-4) started by sweep the doubles, with 18th-ranked Vincent Dubosclard and Birkir Gunnarsson defeating Thiago Lopes and Lucich, 8-4, at No. 1. AUM’s Francisco Mendieta and Luis Vivas won by the same score at No. 2 over Anatoliy Lashkul and Jakov Tshirkin and Santiago Veglia and Destefanis registering an 8-6 victory against Jose Ortega Vela and Alejandro Rosas Garcia.
In singles Rosas Garcia retired down 4-1 in the first set to Destefanis at No. 3 before 45th-ranked Dubosclard defeated Lopes, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 2. Mendieta, ranked 27th nationally, posted a 7-5, 6-0, win at No. 1 versus Lashkul.
Lucich picked up his first victory of the year over a ranked opponent, defeating 45th-ranked Federico Lombisano, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 4, but AUM’s Vivas recorded a 6-2, 6-4, win at No. 5 over Tshirkin and Gunnarsson tallied a 6-2, 6-2, victory at No. 6 versus Ortega Vela.
Cumberland hosts Martin Methodist on Monday at 2 p.m. before finishing the regular season with conference matches at Georgetown College and the University of Pikeville.
#2 Auburn Montgomery 8, #22 Cumberland Univ. 1
1. #27 Francisco Mendieta (AUM) def. Anatoliy Lashkul (CU), 7-5, 6-0
2. #45 Vincent Dubosclard (AUM) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Matias Destefanis (AUM) def. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU), 4-1, retired
4. Axel Lucich (CU) def. #45 Federico Lombisano (AUM), 6-3, 6-0
5. Luis Vivas (AUM) def. Jakov Tshirkin (CU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Birkir Gunnarsson (AUM) def. Jose Ortega Vela (CU), 6-2, 6-2
1. #18 Dubosclard-Gunnarsson (AUM) def. Lopes-Lucich (CU), 8-4
2. Mendieta-Vivas (AUM) def. Lashkul-Tshirkin (CU), 8-4
3. Santiago Veglia-Destefanis (AUM) def. Ortega Vela-Rosas Garcia (CU), 8-6
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,4,5,6)