LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept the doubles and Alejandro Rosas Garcia, Axel Lucich and Jakov Tshirkin each won singles matches for the 22nd-ranked Phoenix in a 6-3 win over Martin Methodist in men’s tennis action at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland (7-7) won for the third time in four outings, taking advantage of the early doubles victories to take the match.
Thiago Lopes and Lucich defeated Jesus Quesada and Raphael Monzione, 8-3, at No. 1 and Jose Ortega Vela and Tshirkin posted an 8-4 victory at No. 3 against Farith Lozano and Brad Prada. CU’s Anatoliy Lashkul and Rosas Garcia outlasted Nicolas Galleguillo and Daniel Emerzian, 7-1, in a tiebreaker at No. 2.
Quesada registered a 6-2, 6-2, victory at No. 1 over Lashkul and Galleguillo came back to defeat Lopes, 6-7, 6-3, 10-6, at No. 2, but the middle of the Cumberland lineup provided the necessary points for the team victory.
Rosas Garcia recorded a 6-4, 6-4, win at No. 3 over Emerzian, while Lucich won 6-0, 6-1, at No. 4 versus Lozano and Tshirkin collected a 6-0, 6-2, victory against Monzione. Prada finished off the match with an 8-4 win at No. 6 against CU’s Dylan Nelson.
Cumberland ends the regular season with a pair of Mid-South Conference matches on the road, taking on Georgetown College on Thursday and the University of Pikeville on Tuesday, April 12.
#22 Cumberland Univ. 6, Martin Methodist 3
1. Jeses Quesada (MMC) def. Anatoliy Lashkul (CU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Nicolas Galleguillo (MMC) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 6-7, 6-3, 10-6
3. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU) def. Daniel Emerzian (MMC), 6-4, 6-4
4. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Farith Lozano (MMC), 6-0, 6-1
5. Jakov Tshirkin (CU) def. Raphael Monzione (MMC), 6-0, 6-2
6. Brad Prada (MMC) def. Dylan Nelson (CU), 8-4
1. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Quesada-Monzione (MMC), 8-3
2. Lashkul-Rosas Garcia (CU) def. Galleguillo-Emerzian (MMC), 9-8 (1)
3. Jose Ortega Vela-Tshirkin (CU) def. Lozano-Prada (MMC), 8-4