LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won a pair of doubles outings and Axul Lucich picked up a singles win, but the University of Pikeville posted five singles victories en route to a 6-3 team win over 22nd-ranked Cumberland in men’s tennis action Monday in Pikeville, Ky.
The Phoenix (8-8, 3-3 Mid-South) end the regular season with the defeat and play next in the Mid-South Conference Championships on April 21-23 in Bowling Green, Ky.
Lucich and Thiago Lopes opened play with an 8-3 victory at No. 1 doubles over Jan Kappes and Enzo Douillack, while Anatoliy Lashkul and Alejandro Rosas Garcia collected a win by the same score at No. 2 against Diego Reboredo and Eric Bernabeu. Pikeville’s Fernando Fernandez and Juan Reyes posted an 8-6 win at No. 3 versus Jakov Tshirkin and Jose Ortega Vela.
The Bears (10-2, 4-1) recorded wins at the top three positions in singles to take a 4-2 lead in the match.
Jappes defeated Lashkul, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 1, while Douillac registered a 6-4, 7-5, victory at No. 2 over Lopes and Pablo Casas won 6-3, 6-3, against Rosas Garcia at No. 3. Lucich picked up CU’s only point in singles, coming from a set down to defeat Fernandez at No. 4, 2-6, 6-2, 7-5.
Reyes posted a 6-3, 7-6 (5), victory at No. 5 over Tshirkin and Bernabeu won at No. 6 when Ortega Vela retired after dropping the first set, 6-4.
Univ. of Pikeville 6, #22 Cumberland Univ. 3
1. Jan Kappes (PIKE) def. Anatoliy Lashkul (CU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Enzo Douillac (PIKE) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 6-4, 7-5
3. Pablo Casas (PIKE) def. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Fernando Fernandez (PIKE), 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Juan Reyes (PIKE) def. Jakov Tshirkin (CU), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
6. Eric Bernabeu (PIKE) def. Jose Ortega Vela (CU), 6-4, retired
1. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Kappes-Douillac (PIKE), 8-3
2. Lashkul-Rosas Garcia (CU) def. Diego Reboredo-Bernabeu (PIKE), 8-3
3. Fernandez-Reyes (PIKE) def. Tshirkin-Ortega Vela (CU), 8-6
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,2,4,5,6)