LEBANON, Tenn. – Top-ranked Georgia Gwinnett swept the doubles and Kevin Konfederak and Gilad Berman won singles matches in straight sets in a 5-0 victory over 20th-ranked Cumberland in men’s tennis action Friday in Lawrenceville, Ga.
Cumberland (0-1) plays Mid-South Conference foe the University of the Cumberlands on Saturday at 1 p.m. Central Time to conclude action in the Grizzly Invitational.
The Grizzlies (7-0) swept through the three doubles matches, with Rafael Coutinho and Federico Duran picking up an 8-2 victory at No. 3 over Axel Lucich and Jose Ortega Vela. Berman and Connor Clements won 8-3 at No. 2 versus Ramon Puertolas and Thiago Lopes before top-ranked Konfederak and Jordan Cox defeated CU’s Alejandro Rosas Garcia and Riccardo Ferraris, 8-5, at No. 1.
Konfederak, also ranked No. 1 in singles, posted a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 1 against Ferraris and Berman finished off the dual with a 6-1, 6-4, victory at No. 3 versus Puertolas.
#1 Georgia Gwinnett 5, #20 Cumberland Univ. 0
1. #1 Kevin Konfederak (GGC) def. Riccardo Ferraris (CU), 6-1, 6-0
2. #2 Jordan Cox (GGC) vs. Thiago Lopes (CU), 6-0, 3-6, DNF
3. Gilad Berman (GGC) def. Ramon Puertolas (CU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Rafael Coutinho (GGC) vs. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU), 6-3, 5-3, DNF
5. Federico Duran (GGC) vs. Axel Lucich (CU), 6-1, 4-3, DNF
6. #50 Sergio Valinotti (GGC) vs. Jose Ortega Vela (CU), 6-2, 2-1, DNF
1. #1 Konfederak-Cox (GGC) def. Rosas Garcia-Ferraris (CU), 8-5
2. Connor Clements-Berman (GGC) def. Puertolas-Lopes (CU), 8-3
3. Coutinho-Duran (GGC) def. Lucich-Ortega Vela (CU), 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3)