LEBANON, Tenn. – Riccardo Ferraris, Thiago Lopes and Ramon Puertolas all won in straight sets in singles and Jose Ortega Vela clinched the deciding point at No. 6, helping Cumberland to a 4-3 victory in men’s tennis action Thursday at Hadley Park in Nashville, Tenn.
The Tigers (3-3) won the doubles point thanks to a tiebreaker victory at No. 2, but the Phoenix (1-1) posted four singles victories to earn the team victory.
Lopes and Axel Lucich opened the doubles with a 6-4 win at No. 1 against Matthew Brown and Grant Maddox, but Tom Vanden Broeck-Parant and Kyle Burton outlasted Puertolas and Alejandro Roasa Garcia, 8-6, in the tiebreaker at No. 2. TSU’s Shashank Nautiyal and Jorge Rodriguez gave the Tigers the doubles point with a 6-4 victory at No. 3 versus Ferraris and Ortega Vela.
Cumberland started quickly in singles, claiming victories at the top three spots in the lineup, all in straight sets.
Ferraris posted a 6-2, 6-3, win at No. 1 over Brown, while Lopes and Puertolas both claimed 6-3, 6-3, victories – Lopes at No. 2 versus Rodriguez and Puertolas at No. 3 against Vanden Broeck-Parant.
Tennessee State’s Nautiyal pulled the Tigers within 4-2 in the match with a 6-3, 6-3, win at No. 4 over Rosas Garcia and Burton and Lucich were headed for the third set at No. 5. Ortega Vela clinched the deciding point with a 6-2, 6-1, victory at No. 6 over Maddox. Burton eventually won at No. 5 in a super tiebreaker, 10-8, in the third set.
Cumberland does not play again until March 3 at Tennessee Wesleyan.
Cumberland Univ. 4, Tennessee State 3
1. Ricardo Ferraris (CU) def. Matthew Brown (TSU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Jorge Rodriguez (TSU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Tom Vanden Broeck-Parant (TSU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Shashank Nautiyal (TSU) def. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Kyle Burton (TSU) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 2-6, 6-3, 10-8
6. Jose Ortega Vela (CU) def. Grant Maddox (TSU), 6-2, 6-1
1. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Maddox-Brown (TSU), 6-4
2. Broeck-Parant-Burton (TSU) def. Puertolas-Rosas Garcia (CU), 7-6 (6)
3. Nautiyal-Rodriguez (TSU) def. Ferraris-Ortega Vela (CU), 6-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)