LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland posted one doubles win and Ramon Puertolas picked up a singles victory, but eighth-ranked Campbellsville University won a pair of singles outings in three sets en route to a 7-2 victory over Cumberland in men’s tennis action Wednesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Tigers (7-2, 1-0 Mid-South) started with two doubles victories at the top two spots, with Brendan Aguilar and Chrys Castro posting an 8-2 win over Axel Lucich and Thiago Lopes and Alejandro Reyes at No. 1 and Adrian Sabrojo collecting an 8-3 decision at No. 2 versus Puertolas and Alejandro Rosas Garcia.
Cumberland’s Riccardo Ferraris and Jose Ortega Vela got the Phoenix (2-3, 0-1) on the board with an 8-3 win at No. 3 against Victor Ahlbeck and Mario Belloni.
Aguilar defeated Ferraris, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 1 and Reyes picked up a 6-4, 6-4, win at No. 2 over Lopes. Sabrojo and Rosas Garcia split sets before Sabrojo finished off a 6-4, 2-6, 6-0, victory at No. 3.
Ahlbeck came from a set down against Lucich at No. 4 for a 5-6, 6-0, 10-5, win at No. 4, while Ortega Vela retired at No. 5 down 3-0 versus Belloni. Puertolas posted Cumberland’s only singles triumph with a 6-1, 7-5, decision at No. 6 over Castro.
The Phoenix travel to Auburn Montgomery next Wednesday for a 2 p.m. match before hosting Lindsey Wilson on March 31.
#8 Campbellsville University 7, #22 Cumberland University 2
1. Brendan Aguilar (CAMP) def. Riccardo Ferraris (CU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Alejandro Reyes (CAMP) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Adrian Sabrojo (CAMP) def. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-0
4. Victor Ahlbeck (CAMP) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 5-7, 6-0, 10-5
5. Mario Belloni (CAMP) def. Jose Ortega Vela (CU), 3-0, retired
6. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Chrys Castro (CAMP), 6-1, 7-5
1. Aguilar-Castro (CAMP) def. Lucich-Lopez (CU), 8-2
2. Reyes-Sabrojo (CAMP) def. Puertolas-Rosas Garcia (CU), 8-3
3. Ferraris-Ortega Vela (CU) def. Ahlbeck-Belloni (CAMP), 8-3