BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Riccardo Ferraris and Ramon Puertolas picked up singles matches and combined for a doubles win, but ninth-ranked Campbellsville University edged Cumberland, 5-3, in the semifinals of the Mid-South Conference Men’s Tennis Championships here Monday at Kereaikes Park.
The Tigers (18-3) advance to the championship match later Monday, while the season ends for t5he Phoenix, who finished 7-6 overall.
Campbellsville won the first two completed doubles matches, with Chrys Castro and Alejandro Reyes collecting an 8-3 victory over Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich, while Brendar Aguilar and Victor Ahlbeck recorded an 8-4 win at No. 2 versus Jose Ortega Vela and Alejandro Rosas Garcia.
Ferraris and Puertolas broke twice late in the match at No. 3, taking an 8-4 triumph against Adrian Sabrojo and Mario Belloni.
In singles fifth-ranked Aguilar did not let Rosas Garcia in the match from the opening game, taking a 6-1, 6-1, victory at No. 1, but the Phoenix evened the match with wins at Nos. 3 and 4.
Ferraris broke once in the opening set and twice in the second set, overpowering Ahlbeck, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 4. Puertolas outlasted Sabrojo at No. 3, 6-2, 6-4, running down ball after ball and coming up with winners on the baseline and at the net, evening the match at three.
That lasted for just minutes, with Reyes taking a 6-4, 6-3, triumph at No. 2 versus Lopes. Reyes broke in the final game of the first set when it looked like things were heading for a tiebreaker and then broke again in the middle of the second set for the victory.
The Tigers led at No. 5, 7-5, 4-3, with Belloni breaking in the last game of the first set as well and he and Lucich on serve in the second set. Castro posted the final point for Campbellsville, winning the last four games of the match for a 6-2, 6-4, win at No. 6 against Ortega Vela.
#9 Campbellsville Univ. 5, #24 Cumberland Univ. 3
1. #5 Brendan Aguilar (CAMP) def. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Alejandro Reyes (CAMP) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Adrian Sabrojo (CAMP), 6-2, 6-4
4. Riccardo Ferraris (CU) def. Victor Ahlbeck (CAMP), 6-3, 6-4
5. Axel Lucich (CU) vs. Mario Belloni (CAMP), 5-7, 3-4, DNF
6. Chrys Castro (CAMP) def. Jose Ortega Vela (CU), 6-2, 6-4
1. Castro-Reyes (CAMP) def. Lopes-Lucich (CU), 8-3
2. Aguilar-Ahlbeck (CAMP) def. Ortega Vela-Rosas Garcia (CU), 8-4
3. Ferraris-Puertolas (CU) def. Sabrojo-Belloni (CAMP), 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,3,2,6)