LEBANON, Tenn. – Riccardo Ferraris, Ramon Puertolas, Axel Lucich and Thiago Lopes all won in singles and doubles, with Lucich claiming the clinching point, as 21st-ranked Cumberland picked up five singles victories in straight sets in a 7-2 win over No. 18 Tennessee Wesleyan in men’s tennis action Monday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix (4-0) lost the first completed doubles match, with Tennessee Wesleyan’s Federico Staksrud and Borja Perez posting an 8-3 win at No. 1 over Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca, but Puertolas and Ferraris won by the same score at No. 2 over Sergio Lapaz and Mauricio Muniz. Lucich and Lopes gave CU a 2-1 edge in the match with an 8-4 victory at No. 3 versus Andre Kaloussieh and Caio Bardauil.
Ferraris was the first one off in singles, taking down Bernat Paredes, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3, but Staksrud kept the Bulldogs (3-1) in the match with a 6-3, 6-4, win versus Cruañas at No. 1. Puertolas finished off his win at No. 2 moments later, though, a 6-3, 6-2, triumph against Perez for a 4-2 CU advantage.
Lucich posted the clinching point with a 6-4, 6-0, win at No. 6 versus Muniz and the Phoenix followed with two more victories. Fernandez Meaca defeated Bardauil, 7-6, 7-5, at No. 4 and Lopes claimed a 6-3, 6-4, win over Fabrizio Tormen at No. 4.
Cumberland travels to Macon, Ga., for a stretch of four matches in five days beginning Friday. The Phoenix face 15th-ranked Coastal Georgia, 25th-ranked SCAD-Atlanta, Indiana Wesleyan, 13th-ranked Middle Georgia State and 16th-ranked Reinhardt University.
#21 Cumberland University 7, #18 Tennessee Wesleyan 2
1. Federico Staksrud (TWU) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Borja Perez (TWU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Riccardo Ferraris (CU) def. Bernat Paredes (TWU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Caio Bardauil (TWU), 7-6, 7-5
5. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Fabrizio Tormen (TWU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Mauricio Muniz (TWU), 6-4, 6-0
1. Staksrud-Perez (TWU) def. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez (CU), 8-3
2. Puertolas-Ferraris (CU) def. Sergio Lapaz-Muniz (TWU), 8-3
3. Lucich-Lopes (CU) def. Andre Kaloussieh-Bardauil (TWU), 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,2,6,5,4)