LEBANON, Tenn. – Ramon Puertolas won his singles match in three sets and Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Guillermo Pardos each lost in three sets in Cumberland’s 6-1 defeat at Austin Peay in men’s tennis exhibition action Tuesday in Clarksville, Tenn.
The Governors won all three doubles outings to take the doubles point, with Almantas Ozelis and Anton Damberg recording a 6-2 win at No. 1 over Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich while Timo Kiesslich and Jacob Lorino won by the same score at No. 2 versus Aleksander Milosevic and Grabuleda Cruañas.
Chad Woodham and Hunter Sanders recorded a 6-4 victory at No. 3 against Puertolas and Pardos.
The Phoenix held their own in singles, though, forcing a trio of three-set matches.
Damberg defeated Lucich, 6-0, 6-4, at No. 3 and Ozelis overcame dropping a first-set tiebreaker to Grabuleda Cruañas en route to a 6-7 (6), 6-2, 6-1, win at No. 1. Lorino also bested Pardos in three sets, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 4.
Puertolas picked up the lone point for Cumberland at No. 2 singles with a 4-6, 7-6 (1), 6-4, triumph over Kiesslich. Sanders recorded an 8-2 win at No. 6 against Milosevic and Woodham collected a 7-5, 6-4, victory at No. 5 over Alejo Bagnera.
Cumberland begins play in the regular season at home February 26 against Tennessee Wesleyan at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Austin Peay 6, Cumberland University 1
1. Almantas Ozelis (APSU) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 6-7 (6), 6-2, 6-1
2. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Timo Kiesslich (APSU), 4-6, 7-6 (1), 6-4
3. Anton Damberg (APSU) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 6-0, 6-4
4. Jacob Lorino (APSU) def. Guillermo Pardos (CU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Chad Woodham (APSU) def. Alejo Bagnera (CU), 7-5, 6-4
6. Hunter Sanders (APSU) def. Aleksander Milosevic (CU), 8-2
1. Ozelis-Damberg (APSU) def. Thiago Lopes-Lucich (CU), 6-2
2. Kiesslich-Lorino (APSU) def. Milosevic-Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 6-2
3. Woodham-Sanders (APSU) def. Puertolas-Pardos (CU), 6-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,4,2,6,5)