LEBANON, Tenn. – Axel Lucich claimed singles and doubles wins 13th-ranked Tennessee Wesleyan posted four singles victories en route to a 6-3 win over Cumberland in men’s tennis action Tuesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix lost 2-of-3 doubles matches to begin their regular season opener and the Bulldogs never let up.
TWU’s Francisco Lanusse and Gregorio Magnarelli defeated Francisco Fernandez Meaca and Pau Grabuleda Cruañas, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles, but Lucich and Thiago Lopes recorded an 8-6 victory at No. 1. Wesleyan got the final doubles outing at No. 3, with Caio Bardauil and Ariel Spagbnuolo claiming an 8-6 win over Ramon Puertolas and Guillermo Pardos.
Lucich was the first off in singles, registering a 6-0, 6-2, victory at No. 3 against Bernat Paredes and Puertolas gave Cumberland a 3-2 edge in the overall match with a 6-2, 6-0, win at No. 2 versus Spagnuolo.
But that was all for Cumberland, with TWU tallying victories in the remaining singles outings.
Bardauil defeated Grabuleda Cruañas, 6-7, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 1 and Magnarelli put the Bulldogs back in front with a 6-3, 6-3, triumph at No. 5 against Alejo Bagnera. Jorge Sedeño won 7-6, 6-1, versus Pardos at No. 4 and Lanusee ended the match with a 6-4, 6-3, victory at No. 6 over Aleksandar Milosevic.
Cumberland travels to Macon, Ga., this weekend to play five matches in five days over Spring Break beginning Friday versus 11th-ranked University of Mobile.
#13 Tennessee Wesleyan 6, #8 Cumberland University 3
1. Caio Bardauil (TWU) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
2. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Ariel Spagnuolo (TWU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Bernat Paredes (TWU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Jorge Sedeño (TWU) def. Guillermo Pardos (CU), 7-6, 6-1
5. Gregorio Magnarelli (TWU) def. Alejo Bagnera (CU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Francisco Lanusee (TWU) def. Aleksandar Milosevic (CU), 6-4, 6-3
1. Thiago Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Caius Blomqvist-Ryan Lee (TWU), 8-6
2. Lanusse-Magnarelli (TWU) def. Francisco Fernandez Meaca-Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 8-3
3. Bardauil-Spagnuolo (TWU) def. Puertolas-Pardos (CU), 8-6
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,5,4,6)