LEBANON, Tenn. – Eighth-ranked Middle Georgia State swept the doubles and quickly won two singles outings in a 5-0 victory over No. 7 Cumberland in men’s tennis action Tuesday in Macon, Ga.
The Phoenix (2-3) split four matches during their Spring Break trip, defeating 25th-ranked Indiana Wesleyan and Loyola University. Cumberland begins a six-match homestand this Saturday, taking on Olivet Nazarene at 11 a.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Middle Georgia (6-2) won all three doubles matches, with Octavio Tamola and Lucas De Freitas recording an 8-1 win at No. 1 versus Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca. Leandro Otero and Yuri Syromoltov collected an 8-4 victory at No. 3 against Aleksandar Milosevic and Guillermo Pardos and Jimmy Merah and Alejandro Prada defeated Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich, 8-6, at No. 1.
The Knights made quick work in singles, with Syromoltov beating Puertolas at No. 1 and Merah doing the same against Grabuleda Cruañas at No. 2 by scores of 6-0, 6-0. Lopes, Paros and Milosevic all won their first set for Cumberland when the match was stopped.
#8 Middle Georgia State 5, #7 Cumberland University 0
1. Yuri Syromoltov (MGA) def. Ramon Puertolas (CU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Jimmy Merah (MGA) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Thiago Lopes (CU) vs Lucas De Freitas (MGA), 6-4, DNF
4. Alejo Bagnera (CU) vs Octavio Tamola (MGA), 5-7, DNF
5. Guillermo Pardos (CU) vs Alejandro Prada (MGA), 7-5, DNF
6. Aleksandar Milosevic (CU) vs Santino Romeo (MGA), 6-0, DNF
1. Merah-Prada (MGA) def. Axel Lucich-Lopes (CU), 8-6
2. Tamola-De Freitas (MGA) def. Francisco Fernandez Meaca-Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 8-1
3. Leandro Otero-Syromoltov (MGA) def. Milosevic-Pardos (CU), 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2)