LEBANON, Tenn. – Fourteenth-ranked Cumberland swept the doubles and won five singles matches in straight sets in an 8-1 victory over Bethel University in men’s tennis action Friday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix (5-3) have won three straight outings and host the fourth outing in a six-match homestand Saturday at 10 a.m. against fourth-ranked William Woods University.
Cumberland dropped just one game in doubles, with Axel Lucich and Thiago Lopes defeating Lorenz Bialkowski and John Griffith, 8-1, at No. 1. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca blanked Igo Konno and Vincius Ribeiro at No. 2 and Guillermo Pardos and Aleksansar Milosevic did the same at No. 3 versus Jaime Julve and Reece Hassell.
In singles Fernandez Meaca posted a 6-0, 6-0, win at No. 2 over Griffith and Lopes defeated Konno, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 3 to clinch the match. Alejo Bagnera claimed a 6-0, 6-1, decision at No. 4 against Julve before Bialkowski picked up Bethel’s only point of the match with a 3-6, 7-5, 11-9, win at No. 1 against Grabuleda Cruañas.
Pardos did not lose a game in his victory at No. 5 over Ribeiro and Milosevic did the same at No. 6 against Hassell.
#14 Cumberland University 8, Bethel University 1
1. Lorenz Bialkowski (BETH) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 3-6, 7-5, 11-9
2. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. John Griffith (BETH), 6-0, 6-0
3. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Igor Konno (BETH), 6-0, 6-1
4. Alejo Bagnera (CU) def. Jaime Julve (BETH), 6-0, 6-1
5. Guillermo Pardos (CU) def. Vincius Ribeiro (BETH), 6-0, 6-0
6. Aleksandar Milosevic (CU) def. Reece Hassell (BETH), 6-0, 6-0
1. Axel Lucich-Lopes (CU) def. Bialkowski-Griffith (BETH), 8-1
2. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Konno-Ribeiro (BETH), 8-0
3. Pardos-Milosevic (CU) def. Julve-Hassell (BETH), 8-0
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,3,4,1,5,6)