LEBANON, Tenn. – Pau Grabuleda Cruañas, Ramon Puertolas, Francisco Fernandez Meaca and Guillermo Pardos posted singles victories and 14th-ranked Cumberland registered one doubles win in a 5-4 triumph over Lindenwood-Belleville in men’s tennis action Tuesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix (6-4) defaulted at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles, giving the Lynx two additional points. Cumberland ends a six-match homestand Friday with a 10 a.m. match against Southeastern University.
Fernandez Meaca and Pardos collected an 8-6 victory at No. 2 doubles but LU-Belleville’s Juan Herrera Barreda and Yan Gest recorded a win by the same score at No. 1 versus Axel Lucich and Grabuleda Cruañas.
Ramon Puertolas defeated Felipe Caselles at No. 2 singles, 6-1, 6-2 before Francisco Retamal Diaz netted a 6-2, 2-6, 6-3, victory for the Lynx over Lucich at No. 3. Cumberland answered with Fernandez Meaca in a 6-1, 6-2, triumph at No. 4 versus Chirag Dahiya.
Grabuleda Cruañas and Herrera Barreda split sets but the Phoenix picked up the point when Herrera Barreda retired down 2-1 in the third set. Pardos won the clinching match at No. 5, a 6-2, 6-2, victory against Gest.
#14 Cumberland University 5, Lindenwood-Belleville 4
1. #30 Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU) def. Juan Herrera Barreda (LUB), 6-4, 4-6, 2-1, retired
2. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Felipe Caselles (LUB), 6-1, 6-2
3. Francisco Retamal Diaz (LUB) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Chirag Dahiya (LUB), 6-1, 6-2
5. Guillermo Pardos (CU) def. Yan Gest (LUB), 6-2, 6-2
6. Default (LUB)
1. Herrera-Gust (LUB) def. Grabuleda Cruañas-Lucich (CU), 8-6
2. Fernandez Meaca-Pardos (CU) def. Gustavo Furukawa (LUB), 8-6
3. Default (LUB)
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,3,4,1,5)