LEBANON, Tenn. – Fourteenth-ranked Cumberland lost a pair of doubles matches but regrouped to claim sic singles outings, five in straight sets, in a 7-2 victory over Southeastern University in men’s tennis action Friday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix (7-4) won 5-of-6 matches in the homestand that ended Friday with the only loss to No. 4 William Woods University.
The Fire started the match with two doubles wins, with Hugo Pires and Enrique Martinez claiming an 8-3 decision over Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca. Felipe Barbosa and Thomas Ortega defeated Alejo Bagnera and Ramon Puertolas, 9-7, at No. 2, but CU’s 13th-ranked Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich collected a 9-7 win at No. 1 versus Luxxa Marcheschi and Santiago Haas.
Grabuleda Cruañas, ranked 30th in singles, posted a 7-6, 6-4, victory at No. 1 against Barbosa while Puertolas recorded a 6-1, 6-1, win at No. 2 over Haas and Lucich tallied a 6-4, 6-2, triumph at No. 3 against Marcheschi.
Fernandez Meaca defeated Martinez, 7-6 (7), 6-1 at No. 4, Lopes outlasted Ortega, 6-2, 5-7, 10-2, win versus Ortega at No. 5 and Guillermo Pardos posted a 6-3, 6-1, victory against Tyler Glowaki at No. 6.
The Phoenix play at 19th-ranked University of the Cumberlands next Friday, the first of three matches in three days in league play. The trip also includes outings at Georgetown College and Shawnee State.
#14 Cumberland University 7, Southeastern University 2
1. #30 Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU) def. Felipe Barbosa (SEU), 7-6, 6-4
2. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Santiago Haas (SEU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Lucca Marcheschi (SEU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Enrique Martinez (SEU), 7-6 (7), 6-1
5. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Thomas Ortega (SEU), 6-2, 5-7, 10-2
6. Guillermo Pardos (CU) def. Tyler Glowaki (SEU), 6-3, 6-1
1. #13 Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Marcheschi-Haas (SEU), 9-7
2. Barbosa-Ortega (SEU) def. Alejo Bagnera-Puertolas (CU), 9-7
3. Hugo Pires-Martinez (SEU) def. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU), 8-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,2,1,4,6,5)