LEBANON, Tenn. – Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca picked up singles wins, but 14th-ranked Cumberland lost two doubles and three singles outings in a 5-3 loss to 18th-ranked University of the Cumberlands in men’s tennis action Friday in Williamsburg, Ky.
The match started outdoors in Williamsburg and finished indoors in London, Ky., after rain late in the day. The Patriots (7-4, 2-1) led 4-3 with two singles matches on the court when rain forced everyone indoors.
Thiago Lopes and Fernandez Meaca posted the only doubles point for the Phoenix (7-5, 0-1) with an 8-5 victory at No. 2 against Aatu Merenheimo and Luis Montell, but that came after the Cumberlands recorded the first two points of the match.
Anthony Kwok and Jan Dietrich defeated Axel Lucich and Ramon Puertolas, 8-3, at No. 3 and Martin Barbier and Eric Banoub posted an 8-4 win at No. 1 versus Alejo Bagnera and Grabuleda Cruañas.
Barbier, ranked 41st nationally in singles, registered a 6-3, 6-1, victory at No. 2 against Puertolas before Fernandez Meaca defeated Dietrich, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 4. Montell kept the Cumberlands in the lead overall in the match with a 6-3, 7-5, decision against Lucich at No. 3, but 30th-ranked Grabuleda Cruañas defeated Merenheimo, 7-6 (3), 7-5, at No. 1 to make it 4-3 Patriots.
Kwok ended the match with a 6-3, 6-2, win at No. 6 over Lopes. Banoub led 6-1, 5-4, against Guillermo Pardos at No. 5 when the match was stopped.
Cumberland travels to Georgetown College for a 3 p.m. match Saturday and finishes the road swing Sunday at 10 a.m. in Cincinnati, Ohio, against Shawnee State.
#18 University of the Cumberlands 5, #14 Cumberland University 3
1. #30 Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU) def. Aatu Merenheimo (UC), 7-6 (3), 7-5
2. #41 Martin Barbier (UC) def. Ramon Puertolas (CU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Luis Montell (UC) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 6-3, 7-5
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Jan Dietrich (CU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Guillermo Pardos (CU) vs Eric Banoub (UC), 1-6, 4-5, DNF
6. Anthony Kwok (CU) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 6-3, 6-2
1. Banoub-Barbier (UC) def. Alejo Bagnera-Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 8-4
2. Lopes-Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Merenheimo-Montull (UC), 8-5
3. Dietrich-Kwok (UC) def. Lucich-Puertolas (CU), 8-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,4,3,1,6)