LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland posted a pair of doubles wins and won all six singles matches, as the 14th-ranked Phoenix registered an 8-1 victory over the University of Pikeville in men’s tennis action Saturday night at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix (11-5, 4-1 Mid-South) picked up defaults at Nos. 5 and 6 singles and No. 3 doubles.
Pikeville’s Eric Bernabeu and Jose Medina defeated Guillermo Pardos and Aleksandar Milosevic at No. 2 doubles for the Bears only point of the match, but Francisco Fernandez Meaca won 8-4 versus Martyn Icke and Luis Gayoso at No. 1.
Alejo Bagnera defeated Bernabeu, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 2 doubles for the clinching point. Pardos won 6-3, 6-1, at No. 3 over Medina while Ramon Puertolas posted a 7-5, 6-1, decision against Icke at No. 1 and Milosevic recorded a 6-2, 6-2, victory versus Gayoso at No. 4.
Cumberland ends the regular season next Saturday, hosting eighth-ranked Lindsey Wilson at 2 p.m.
#14 Cumberland University 8, University of Pikeville 1
1. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Martyn Icke (PIKE), 7-5, 6-1
2. Alejo Bagnera (CU) def. Eric Bernabeu (PIKE), 6-1, 6-3
3. Guillermo Pardos (CU) def. J. Medina (PIKE), 6-3, 6-1
4. Aleksandar Milosevic (CU) def. Luis Gayoso (PIKE), 6-2, 6-2
5. Thiago Lopes (CU) won by default
6. Axel Lucich (CU) won by default
1. Francisco Fernandez Meaca-Lopes (CU) def. Icke-Gayoso (PIKE), 8-4
2. Bernabeu-Medina (PIKE) def. Pardos-Milosevic (CU), 8-4
3. Puertolas-Bagnera (CU) won by default
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,6,2,3,1,4)