LEBANON, Tenn. – Sixteenth-ranked Cumberland men’s tennis lost all three doubles and the first completed singles match, but the Phoenix rallied for five consecutive singles wins to close out the match and earn a share of the Mid-South Conference regular season championship with a 5-4 victory over No. 13 Lindsey Wilson on Monday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix (12-5, 5-1 Mid-South) won their fifth straight match and have posted 10 victories in the last 12 outings since March 12 after a 2-5 start to the campaign.
The Blue Raiders (7-6, 5-1) started with three doubles wins, as Javier Raya and Camilo Erazo defeated 22nd-ranked Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Alejo Bagnera, 8-2, at No. 1 and Xavier Vicent and Santiago Diaz claimed an 8-4 decision at No. 2 versus Thiago Lopes and Francisco Fernandez Meaca.
LWC’s Tiago Almeida and Nicolas Garcia outlasted Axel Lucich and Ramon Puertolas, 7-4, in a tiebreaker at No. 3.
Erazo, ranked 30th nationally in singles, put the Blue Raiders ahead, 4-0, in the match with a 6-0, 6-1, victory against Grabuleda Cruañas at No. 1, but Bagnera’s upset of 41st-ranked Almeida, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 2 started the comeback for Cumberland.
Fernandez Meaca posted another victory with a 6-4, 6-3, win at No. 4 against Garcia and Puertolas overcame an early deficit, coming back for a 4-6, 6-2, 6-2, triumph at No. 3 over Vicent, pulling the Phoenix within 4-3 in the match.
The final two matches on the court featured two seniors for Cumberland and they did not disappoint in their final home outing. Lopes collected a 6-3, 6-4, win at No. 6 versus Steven Espinoza, evening the match at four.
Lucich was down a set but found a way to even the match in a tiebreaker in the second set before running away at the end, recording a 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-0, victory at No. 5 again Diaz for the deciding point.
#16 Cumberland University 5, #13 Lindsey Wilson 4
1. #30 Camilo Erazo (LWC) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 6-0, 6-1
2. Alejo Bagnera (CU) def. #41 Tiago Almeida (LWC), 6-3, 6-3
3. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Xavier Vicent (LWC), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Nicolas Garcia (LWC), 6-4, 6-3
5. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Santiago Diaz (LWC), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-0
6. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Steven Espinoza (LWC), 6-3, 6-4
1. Javier Raya-Erazo (LWC) def. #22 Grabuleda Cruañas-Bagnera (CU), 8-2
2. Diaz-Vicent (LWC) def. Lopes-Fernandez Meaca (CU), 8-4
3. Garcia-Almeida (LWC) def. Lucich-Puertolas (CU), 9-8 (4)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,4,3,6,5)