LEBANON, Tenn. – Guillermo Pardos and Francisco Fernandez Meaca recorded a doubles victory, but second-ranked Reinhardt University won the remaining doubles outings and three singles matches in straight sets in a 5-1 victory over No. 16 Cumberland in the second round of the 68th Annual NAIA Men’s Tennis Championships on Wednesday in Mobile, Ala.
The Phoenix (13-7) end the season with the loss, the second straight year the Eagles (17-2) have eliminated Cumberland from the national championships.
Reinhardt’s Martin Mendoza and Sam Alexander defeated Ramon Puertolas and Alejo Bagnera, 8-3, at No. 1 doubles, but Pardos and Fernandez Meaca collected an 8-2 win at No. 3 versus Mario Belloni Tomas and Jori Puig. Myrohn Miranda and Bruno Juarez put the Eagles ahead with an 8-6 triumph at No. 2 over Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich.
Puig registered a 6-2, 6-1, victory at No. 4 singles versus Lucich and Pau Pujadas won 6-1, 6-3, at No. 5 against Pardos. Mendoza, ranked 12th nationally in singles, finished the match with a 6-1, 6-3, decision at No. 1 over Puertolas.
#2 Reinhardt University 5, #16 Cumberland University 1
1. #12 Martin Mendoza (REIN) def. Ramon Puertolas (CU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Alejo Bagnera (CU) vs. Myrohn Miranda (REIN), 4-6, DNF
3. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) vs. Sam Alexander (REIN), 6-3, 5-2, DNF
4. Jori Puig (REIN) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Pau Pujadas (REIN) def. Guillermo Pardos (CU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Thiago Lopes (CU) vs. Bruno Juarez (REIN), 1-6, 1-5, DNF
1. Mendoza-Alexander (REIN) def. Puertolas-Bagnera (CU), 8-3
2. Miranda-Juarez (REIN) def. Thiago Lopes-Lucich (CU), 8-6
3. Pardos-Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Mario Belloni Tomas-Puig (REIN), 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,5,1)