LEBANON, Tenn.--No. 20 Men's Tennis had three individuals go deep into the third set, but ultimately the Phoenix were blanked by No. 9 Indiana Wesleyan in their first match of the season. Indiana Wesleyan stayed perfect on the season going 16-0 up to this point.
Action started in doubles as the Wildcats picked up three wins. Martin Carrizo and Stefano Di Aloy defeated Hughes N'Goma and Sacha Colomban at No. 1, 6-4. Karl Wurth and Isaac Steiner topped Adrijan Hržić and Dan Slapnik Trost 6-1 at No. 2 doubles and at No. 3 Eli Steiner and Mariano Di Aloy defeated German Suarez and Felipe Coelho, 7-5.
At No. 1 singles, Carrizo defeated Colomban in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-2. Di Aloy bested freshman Jackson Vaughan 6-0, 6(5)-7 at No. 2 singles. Eli Steiner beat Hržić, but it went deep in the third set before Steiner won 11-9.
Isaac Steiner beat Felipe Coelho in straight sets, 6-3 and 6-2 at No. 4. In No. 5 singles action, Wurth defeated Slapnik Trost 6-4 and 6-2. Suarez won the first set, but lost the second and third set to Jalif 7-6 and 10-7.
Indiana Wesleyan 7, Cumberland University 0
1. Martin Carrizo (IWU) def. Sacha Colomban (CU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Stefano Di Aloy (IWU) def. Jackson Vaughan (CU), 6-0, 6(5)-7, 6-2
3. Eli Steiner (IWU) def. Adrijan Hržić (CU), 6-2, 4-6, 11-9
4. Isaac Steiner (IWU) def. Felipe Coelho Ferreira (CU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Karl Wurth (IWU) def. Dan Slapnik Trost (CU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Mariano Jalif (IWU) def. German Suarez (CU), 4-6, 7-6, 10-7
1. Carrizo-Di Aloy (IWU) def. N'Goma-Colomban (CU), 6-4
2. Wurth-Isaac Steiner (IWU) def. Hržić-Slapnik Trost(CU), 6-1
3. Eli Steiner-Jalif (IWU) def. Suarez-Coelho (CU), 7-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,5,3,2,6)