September 06, 20121st2ndFinal
Martin Methodist022
Cumberland Univ.011
MMC-W46:59Efraim, Mor (Barbolla, Yalu )
CU-W62:55Gilpin, Shauna (Nay, Taylor )
MMC-W80:49Graham, Laura
MMC-WStorie, Meaghan90:0013
CU-WKitson, Lindsay90:0024
Stats at a GlanceMMC-WCU-W
Shots (on Goal)15 (6) 16 (4)
Corner Kicks14
Yellow Cards12
Late goals send CU to 2-1 defeat
Thursday, September 6, 2012
Late goals send CU to 2-1 defeat
Shauna Gilpin scored CU's only goal and hit the crossbar as well in a 2-1 loss Tuesday against Martin Methodist. (Credit Richard RoBards)

LEBANON, Tenn. – Lauren Graham’s rebound in the 81st minute was the game-winner, as 11th-ranked Martin Methodist defeated Cumberland 2-1 in a match with all three goals scored in the second half in women’s soccer action Tuesday afternoon at Lindsey Donnell Stadium-Kirk Field.

The RedHawks (4-2-0) pulled out the victory despite CU holding possession for the majority of the game, but the Bulldogs (3-1-0) were unable to find players in a scoring position for most of the match and were unlikely at other times, including Shauna Gilpin hitting the crossbar in the 75th minute with the match tied.

On the winning goal, MMC played a short corner to Mor Efraim, whose shot from 20 yards was saved by CU keeper Lindsay Kitson, but the ball bounced some five yards from Kitson and Graham pounced, beating two CU defenders to the ball for the score.

The RedHawks struck first in the second half after the teams were scoreless at the break. In the 47th minute Yalu Barbolla lofted a cross to the top of the six-yard box, where Efraim controlled it, turned to her right and had an easy shot into the net after Kitson found herself out of position.

But the Bulldogs knotted the match at one in the 63rd minute when Gilpin won a scramble in front of the net off a corner, her fifth goal of the season. Gilpin’s shot off the crossbar was the next best scoring chance for CU, with the sophomore beating MMC goalie Meaghan Storie to a ball near the penalty spot, touching it to her left and then lofting a shot over two defenders off the bar.

After a somewhat listless opening 10 minutes from both clubs, the Bulldogs took control of possession and stayed on the offensive end of the pitch but threatened little. The RedHawks had the first scoring chance of the half, with Sofia Smati shooting high from 12 yards after a nice drop by Maria Gamboa.

CU regained possession again in the latter part of the half and Kelsey Langille found herself 1-v-1 with Storie, but she mishit the ball for an easy save.

Cumberland returns to action Sunday at 4 p.m. against Tennessee Wesleyan and hosts Rio Grande on Sunday, September 16 at 1 p.m.