Women's tennis wins twice
LEBANON, Tenn. – Natasha Yakimovich and Bea Mompó-Rebaque posted singles victories in the morning and Yakimovich and Amber Johnson had singles wins in the afternoon, as 25th-ranked Cumberland swept a pair of matches, 5-0, Friday in the quarterfinals and semifinals of the NAIA Qualifying Tournament in Springfield, Ill.
Cumberland (10-6) now plays 18th-ranked Bethel College in the finals of the tournament with an automatic bid on the line for the NAIA National Tournament in May. Bethel defeated the Bulldogs last week, 5-2, in Lebanon.
In the morning match Cumberland defeated Stephens College, 5-0, winning all three doubles tilts with Yakimovich and Mompó-Rebaque claiming singles outings.
Yakimovich and Mompó-Rebaque, ranked eighth nationally in doubles, defeated Heather Korman and Courtney Mellinger, 8-0, at No. 1, and Emily Jacobs and Kerinn Meisenbach posted an 8-0 victory over Jessica Gorman and Natalia Ramirez at No. 2. Courtney Schaub and Johnson won 8-2 at No. 3 against Amity Sparks and Natalia Ramirez.
Ninth-ranked Yakimovich claimed a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 1 over Gorman and Mompó-Rebaque defeated Korman, 6-0, 6-0, as well at No. 2.
In the afternoon the Bulldogs again won all three doubles matches, with Yakimovich and Johnson posting the singles wins.
Yakimovich and Mompó-Rebaque defeated Kathleen Brancato and Thiyumi Abeysinghe, 8-0, at No. 1, and Jacobs and Meisenbach posted an 8-5 victory at No. 2 over Ashley McGowan and Rosanna Ramilo. Schaub and Johnson won 8-1 at No. 3 against Liz Duggan and Priyanka Deo.
In singles Yakimovich defeated Brancato, 6-0, 6-0, and Johnson won by the same score at No. 6 over Duggan.
Full results from the tournament may be found at www.transouth.org.
#25 Cumberland 5, Stephens College
1. (9) Natasha Yakimovich (CU) def. Jessica Gorman (SC), 6-0, 6-0
2. Bea Mompó-Rebaque (CU) def. Heather Korman (SC), 6-0, 6-0
3. Courtney Schaub (CU) vs. Courtney Mellinger (SC), 4-1, DNF
4. Kerinn Meisenbach (CU) vs. Amity Sparks (SC), 6-0, 1-0, DNF
5. Emily Jacobs (CU) vs. Annie Pfeiffer (SC), 6-1, DNF
6. Amber Johnson (CU) vs. Natalia Ramirez (SC), 6-0, 2-0, DNF
1. (8) Yakimovich-Mompó-Rebaque (CU) def. Korman-Mellinger (SC), 8-0
2. Jacobs-Meisenbach (CU) def. Gorman-Ramirez (SC), 8-0
3. Schaub-Johnson (CU) def. Sparks-Pfeiffer (SC), 8-2
#25 Cumberland 5, Illinois-Springfield 0
1. (9) Natasha Yakimovich (CU) def. Kathleen Brancato (UIS), 6-0, 6-0
2. Bea Mompó-Rebaque (CU) vs. Thiyumi Abeysinghe (UIS), DNP
3. Courtney Schaub (CU) vs. Ashley McGowan (UIS), DNP
4. Kerinn Meisenbach (CU) vs. Rosanna Ramilo (UIS), DNP
5. Emily Jacobs (CU) vs. Priyanka Deo (UIS), 2-3
6. Amber Johnson (CU) def. Liz Duggan (UIS), 6-0, 6-0
1. (8) Yakimovich-Mompó-Rebaque (CU) def. Brancato-Abeysinghe (UIS), 8-0
2. Jacobs-Meisenbach (CU) def. McGowan-Ramilo (UIS), 8-5
3. Schaub-Johnson (CU) def. Hannah Pellouchould-Duggan (UIS), 8-1