CU loses 5-2 at Belmont
LEBANON, Tenn. – Natasha Yakimovich stayed undefeated in singles and Bea Mompó-Rebaque also won her singles match in three sets, but Belmont won the doubles point and the final four singles outings in a 5-2 victory over Cumberland in women’s tennis action late Friday in Nashville, Tenn.
The Bruins won the doubles point with victories at the top two spots.
BU’s Abby Leatherwood and Whitnie Warren outlasted Yakimovich and Mompó-Rebaque, 9-8 (6), giving the Bulldog tandem their first loss of the season. Belmont’s Titiana Pogo and Abigail Hogan won 8-1 at No. 2 against Kerinn Meisenbach and Emily Jacobs, while CU’s Courtney Schaub and Amber Johnson posted a 9-7 victory at No. 3 over Lindsay Bennett and Lauren Irick.
In singles Yakimovich continued her unbeaten streak and Mompó-Rebaque won in three sets.
Yakimovich, ranked 14th nationally in singles, defeated Warren, 7-5, 6-3, at No. 1, and Mompó-Rebaque won a wild match, 6-7 (15), 6-4, 6-3, over Leatherwood at No. 2. But the Bruins posted wins at the final four spots in the lineup to gain the team victory.
Hogan defeated Jacobs, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3, while Bennett won 6-2, 6-3, against Schaub at No. 4 and Irick also won 6-2, 6-3, against Meisenbach at No. 5. Laura Stack posted a 6-3, 6-7 (5), 10-3, victory over Johnson at No. 6.
Cumberland heads south for Spring Break and will play five matches next week, taking on North Alabama, West Florida, Faulkner State Community College, Southern Miss and Florida Community College.
Belmont 5, Cumberland 2
1. (14) Natasha Yakimovich (CU) def. Whitnie Warren (BEL), 7-5, 6-3
2. Bea Mompó-Rebaque def. Abby Leatherwood (BEL), 6-7 (15), 6-4, 6-3
3. Abigail Hogan (BEL) def. Emily Jacobs (CU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Lindsay Bennett (BEL) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Lauren Irick (BEL) def. Kerinn Meisenbach (CU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Laura Stack (BEL) def. Amber Johnson (CU), 6-3, 6-7 (5), 10-3
1. Leatherwood-Warren (BEL) def. Yakimovich-Mompó-Rebaque (CU), 9-8 (6)
2. Tatiana Pozo-Hogan (BEL) def. Jacobs-Meisenbach (CU), 8-1
3. Johnson-Schaub (CU) def. Bennett-Irick (BEL), 9-7