LEBANON, Tenn. – Eastern Kentucky won all three doubles matches and all six singles outings in straight sets, defeating the Cumberland women’s tennis team, 7-0, in the season opener for the Bulldogs on Friday in Richmond, Ky.
EKU won all three doubles matches handily, starting with Jessica Albuquerque and Anouk Faure posting an 8-1 victory at No. 1 over Courtney Schaub and Larissa Akari Miura. Myriem Mhirit and Milena Poffo defeated Amber Johnson and Anita Rácz by the same score at No. 2, and Esmira Gheisary and Saioa Oscoz collected an 8-0 triumph against Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Lindsey Gaither at No. 3.
In singles the home team won all singles matches in straight sets. Albuquerque posted a 6-2, 6-2, victory at No. 1 over Miura, while Miura defeated Schaub, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 2. Poffo claimed a 6-0, 6-2, triumph against Rácz at No. 3, and Oscoz won 6-0, 6-0, over Johnson at No. 4.
Faure posted a victory against Bezerra, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 5, while Sophie O’Neill claimed a 6-0, 6-1, win at No. 6 over Gaither.
Cumberland plays again February 25 at Belmont University and February 27 at Western Kentucky. The Bulldogs open the home schedule March 1 against Lindsey Wilson.
Eastern Kentucky 7, Cumberland Univ. 0
1. Jessica Albuquerque (EKU) def. Larissa Akari Miura (CU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Myriem Mhirit (EKU) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Milena Poffo (EKU) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Saioa Oscoz (EKU) def. Amber Johnson (CU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Anouk Faure (EKU) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Sophie O’Neill (EKU) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-0, 6-1
1. Albuquerque-Faure (EKU) def. Schaub-Miura (CU), 8-1
2. Mhirit-Poffo (EKU) def. Johnson-Rácz (CU), 8-1
3. Esmira Gheisary-Oscoz (EKU) def. Bezerra-Gaither (CU), 8-0