LEBANON, Tenn. – Larissa Akari Miura won both her singles and doubles matches, but it was not enough, as Belmont University swept the remaining contests and defeated Cumberland, 6-1, in women’s tennis action Friday evening at the Wildwood Tennis Club in Nashville, Tenn.
The Bulldogs (0-2) won the No. 1 singles and doubles matches behind Akari Miura and Courtney Schaub, but the Bruins (2-5) posted victories in the remaining two doubles outings and in the other five singles contests to post the victory.
Belmont’s Lindsay Bennett and Laura Stack defeated Amber Johnson and Anita Rácz, 8-0, at No. 2 doubles, and BU’s Catherine Holliday and Natalia Nunes won by the same score at No. 3 over Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Lindsey Gaither.
Akari Miura and Schuab posted an 8-6 triumph at No. 1 doubles against Abby Leatherwood and Fabiana Mersan.
In singles Akari Miura won 7-6, 6-0, at No. 1 against Leatherwood, but the Bruins posted victories in straight sets in the other five singles outings.
Mersan defeated Schaub, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 2, while Holliday won 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3 over Rácz and Bennett recorded a 6-0, 6-1, victory at No. 4 against Johnson. Nunes registered a 6-0, 6-1, win at No. 5 over Lacerda Bezerra, and Stack won 6-0, 6-0, at No. 6 against Gaither.
Cumberland plays again Sunday at 10 a.m. at Western Kentucky.
Belmont Univ. 6, Cumberland Univ. 1
1. Larissa Akari Miura (CU) def. Abby Leatherwood (BEL), 7-6, 6-0
2. Fabiana Mersan (BEL) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Catherine Holliday (BEL) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Lindsay Bennett (BEL) def. Amber Johnson (CU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Natalia Nunes (BEL) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Laura Stack (BEL) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Schaub-Akari Miura (CU) def. Leatherwood-Mersan (BEL), 8-6
2. Bennett-Stack (BEL) def. Johnson-Rácz (CU), 8-0
3. Holliday-Nunes (BEL) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Gaither (CU), 8-0