LEBANON, Tenn. – Amber Johnson won her singles match in straight sets and Cumberland claimed one doubles outing, but the Bulldogs dropped a 6-1 decision to Western Kentucky in women’s tennis action Sunday in Bowling Green, Ky.
Cumberland (0-3) won the top doubles match in a tiebreaker and Johnson posted a victory at No. 4 singles, but the Hilltoppers claimed the other eight matches, including the five singles outings in straight sets.
WKU started with an 8-0 triumph at No. 3 doubles, as Megan Stephens and Morgan Freeman defeated Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Lindsey Gaither. The Hilltoppers also got a hard-fought win at No. 2 doubles, with Carrie True and Alex Crofford winning 8-6 against Johnson and Amber Rácz.
Courtney Schaub and Larissa Akari Miura outlasted Monta Reinfelde and McKinley Mason in the tiebreaker at No. 1 doubles.
Johnson won her singles outing, 6-3, 6-2, over Stephens, and Rácz lost 3-6, 6-7, at No. 3 singles to True. Otherwise WKU had their way in the rest of the singles matches.
Mason defeated Schaub, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 1, while Reinfelde won 6-1, 6-1, over Akari Miura at No. 2. Crofford posted a 6-0, 6-1, victory against Lacerda Bezerra at No. 5, and Freeman won 6-2, 6-2, against Gaither at No. 6.
Cumberland takes on 13th-ranked Lindsey Wilson on Tuesday at 1 p.m. at the Gray Memorial Tennis Courts.
Western Kentucky 6, Cumberland Univ. 1
1. McKinley Mason (WKU) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Monta Reinfelde (WKU) def. Larissa Akari Miura (CU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Carrie True (WKU) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-3, 7-6
4. Amber Johnson (CU) def. Megan Stephens (WKU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Alex Crofford (WKU) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Morgan Freeman (WKU) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Schaub-Akari Miura (CU) def. Reinfelde-Mason (WKU), 9-8
2. True-Crofford (WKU) def. Johnson-Rácz (CU), 8-6
3. Stephens-Freeman (WKU) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Gaither (CU), 8-0