LEBANON, Tenn. – Larissa Akari Miura won her singles match at No. 1, but Martin Methodist posted victories in all three doubles outings and five singles matches, including a pair in three sets, as the RedHawks defeated Cumberland, 8-1, in women’s tennis action Wednesday in Pulaski, Tenn.
Cumberland (0-7) lost all three doubles matches to start the contest, as MMC’s Paloma Cortina and Maria Charrys defeated Akari Miura and Schaub, 8-5, at No. 1; Anastasia Alescheva and Mikaela Long won 8-2 at No. 2 over Amber Johnson and Anita Rácz; and Jeanna Stanford and Rachel Wolfe posted an 8-2 victory at No. 3 against Tais Lacerda Bezerra.
In singles Akari Miura defeated Cortina, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 1, while Schaub and Lacerda Bezerra nearly pulled out victories.
Alescheva outlasted Schaub at No. 2, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, while Stanford ended up winning because of injury even though she was behind over Lacerda Bezerra, 6-4, 0-6, 1-3, default, at No. 5.
Charrys posted an 8-6 win over Rácz at No. 3, while Long won 8-2 against Johnson at No. 4 and Wolfe defeated Gaither, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 6.
Cumberland hosts Bethel University on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on campus.
Martin Methodist 8, Cumberland Univ. 1
1. Larissa Akari Miura (CU) def. Paloma Cortina (MMC), 6-4, 7-5
2. Anastasia Alescheva (MMC) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Maria Charrys (MMC) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 8-6
4. Mikaela Long (MMC) def. Amber Johnson (CU), 8-2
5. Jeanna Stanford (MMC) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-4, 0-6, 1-3, default
6. Rachel Wolfe (MMC) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-1, 6-0
1. Cortina-Charrys (MMC) def. Schaub-Akari Miura (CU), 8-5
2. Alescheva-Long (MMC) def. Johnson-Rácz (CU), 8-2
3. Stanford-Wolfe (MMC) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Gaither (CU), 8-2