LEBANON, Tenn. – Amber Johnson and Lindsey Gaither won their doubles match, but 16th-ranked Lindsey Wilson posted five total victories to claim a 5-1 victory over Cumberland in women’s tennis action Friday in Columbia, Ky. The match was stopped due to rain and will not be completed.
The Blue Raiders (6-4) opened with doubles victories at Nos. 1 and 2, with seventh-ranked Trina Slapeka and Slavika Milanovic defeating Larissa Akari Miura and Courtney Schaub, 8-3, and Laura Vergara and Rocio Cardo winning 8-0 over Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Anita Rácz. Johnson and Gaither posted an 8-3 triumph at No. 3 against Edelmira Ferri and Ashley Phillips at No. 3.
In singles 13th-ranked Slapeka defeated Akari Miura, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 1, while 44th-ranked Milanovic won 6-1, 6-3, against Schaub at No. 2 and Vergara posted a 6-2, 6-3, win at No. 3 over Rácz. The final three singles matches did not start.
Cumberland (1-8) hosts 22nd-ranked Martin Methodist on Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on campus and will take on Campbellsville University at home Monday at 2 p.m.
#16 Lindsey Wilson 5, Cumberland Univ. 1
1. (13) Trina Slapeka (LWC) def. Larissa Akari Miura (CU), 6-1, 6-4
2. (44) Slavika Milanovoc (LWC) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Laura Vergara (LWC) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Amber Johnson (CU) vs. Edelmira Ferri (LWC), DNP
5. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU) vs. Rocio Cardo (LWC), DNP
6. Lindsey Gaither (CU) vs. Ashley Phillips (LWC), DNP
1. (7) Slapeka-Milanovic (LWC) def. Akari Miura-Schaub (CU), 8-3
2. Vergara-Cardo (LWC) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Rácz (CU), 8-0
3. Johnson-Gaither (CU) def. Ferri-Phillips (LWC), 8-3