LEBANON, Tenn. – Martin Methodist won two doubles matches and four singles outings, including one in three sets, as the 22nd-ranked RedHawks claimed a hardfought 6-3 victory over Cumberland in women’s tennis action Saturday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on the CU campus.
Martin Methodist (7-4) won for the fifth time in six matches in claiming its second victory of the season over the Bulldogs (1-9). The RedHawks won doubles matches at Nos. 2 and 3 to take an early lead and won three singles outings in straight sets.
Cumberland’s Larissa Akari Miura and Courtney Schaub defeated Paloma Cortina and Maria Charrys, 8-6, at No. 1 doubles, but Anastasia Alescheva and Mikaela Long outlasted Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Anita Rácz, 9-7, at No. 2 and Jeanna Stanford and Rachel Wolfe won 8-5 against Amber Johnson and Lindsey Gaither at No. 3.
In singles Cortina defeated Akari Miura, 6-4, 6-0, at No. 1, but Schaub posted a 7-6 (7), 6-3, victory over Alescheva for the Bulldogs at No. 2. MMC’s Charrys posted a 6-3, 7-6 (4), win against Rácz at No. 3 and Long lost the first set but then won 6-0, 6-0, in the second and third sets over Johnson at No. 4. For her efforts Schaub was named the Music City Star of the Game.
Lacerda Bezerra defeated Stanford, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 5 for Cumberland and MMC’s Wolfe claimed a 6-2, 6-2, victory over Gaither at No. 6.
Cumberland hosts Campbellsville University on Monday at 2 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts.
#22 Martin Methodist 6, Cumberland Univ. 3
1. Paloma Cortina (MMC) def. Larissa Akari Miura (CU), 6-4, 6-0
2. Courtney Schaub (CU) def. Anastasia Alescheva (MMC), 7-6 (7), 6-3
3. Maria Charrys (MMC) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
4. Mikaela Long (MMC) def. Amber Johnson (CU), 2-6, 6-0, 6-0
5. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU) def. Jeanna Stanford (MMC), 6-4, 6-2
6. Rachel Wolfe (MMC) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Akari Miura-Schaub (CU) def. Cortina-Charrys (MMC), 8-5
2. Alescheva-Long (MMC) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Rácz (CU), 9-7
3. Stanford-Wolfe (MMC) def. Johnson-Gaither (CU), 8-5