LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland fell behind early only to battle back and take the lead, but Georgetown College won the final two matches on the court, pulling out a 5-4 victory over the Bulldogs Friday afternoon at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on campus.
Cumberland (1-10) dropped two of the three doubles matches and lost at No. 1 singles, but then won three consecutive singles matches at Nos. 2-4. But Georgetown posted singles victories at Nos. 5 and 6 for the close win.
CU’s Larissa Akari Miura and Courtney Schaub defeated Kaitlyn Thompson and Adrienne Bartlett, 8-6, at No. 1, but the Tigers won the final two doubles outings. Haley Hart and Natalie Hill posted an 8-2 victory at No. 2 over Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Anita Rácz and Emily Krick and Shelby Eden won 8-3 at No. 3 against Amber Johnson and Lindsey Gaither.
Bartlett outlasted Akari Miura, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 1 singles, but Schaub defeated Hart, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2 and Rácz won 6-3, 6-1, at No. 3 against Hill. Johnson’s 6-2, 6-3, triumph at No. 4 over Eden gave the Bulldogs a 4-3 edge. For her efforts Rácz was named the Music City Star of the Game.
But Krick defeated Lacerda Bezerra, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 5 and Mackenzie Hatfield posted a 6-3, 6-4, victory at No. 6 against Gaither.
Cumberland plays again Saturday at 11 a.m. at Alabama-Huntsville.
Georgetown College 5, Cumberland Univ. 4
1. Adrienne Bartlett (GC) def. Larissa Akari Miura (CU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Courtney Schaub (CU) def. Haley Hart (GC), 6-2, 6-2
3. Anita Rácz (CU) def. Natalie Hill (GC), 6-3, 6-1
4. Amber Johnson (CU) def. Shelby Eden (GC), 6-2, 6-3
5. Emily Krick (GC) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Mackenzie Hatfield (GC) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-3, 6-4
1. Akari Miura-Schaub (CU) def. Kaitlyn Thompson-Bartlett (GC), 8-6
2. Hart-Hill (GC) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Rácz (CU), 8-2
3. Krick-Eden (GC) def. Johnson-Gaither (CU), 8-3