LEBANON, Tenn. – Larissa Akari Miura and Courtney Schaub each won their singles matches and teamed to post a doubles victory, but Alabama-Huntsville recorded a pair of doubles victories and three singles triumphs, edging Cumberland, 5-4, in women’s tennis action Saturday in Huntsville, Ala.
The Bulldogs (1-11) lost by the same score for the second straight day after falling 5-4 on Friday at home against Georgetown College. Cumberland has lost five times this season by either 6-3 or 5-4 scores.
Akari Miura and Schaub defeated Amanda Sippel and Maria Lawton, 8-2, at No. 1 doubles, but the Chargers registered victories in the other two doubles outings. Alejandra Pacheco and Lina Carvajal won 8-5 over Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Anita Rácz at No. 2 and Amanda Bevis and Kasi McDonald posted an 8-2 triumph at No. 3 against Amber Johnson and Lindsey Gaither.
In singles Akari Miura defeated Giannina Milky, 6-0, 6-4, at No. 1 and Schaub posted a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 2 over Sippel. Johnson also recorded a singles win, 6-4, 6-2, against Carvajal at No. 3.
But the Chargers claimed victories at Nos. 3, 5 and 6 to come away with the narrow team win.
Lawton defeated Rácz, 6-3, 3-2, retired, at No. 3, while Pacheco won 6-3, 6-2, over Lacerda Bezerra at No. 5 and McDonald posted a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 6 against Gaither.
Cumberland hosts Bethel University in its final conference match of the year Wednesday at 1 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on campus.
Alabama-Huntsville 5, Cumberland Univ. 4
1. Larissa Akari Miura (CU) def. Giannina Milky (UAH), 6-0, 6-4
2. Courtney Schaub (CU) def. Amanda Sippel (UAH), 6-0, 6-0
3. Maria Lawton (UAH) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-2, 3-2, retired
4. Amber Johnson (CU) def. Lina Carvajal (UAH), 6-4, 6-2
5. Alejandra Pacheco (UAH) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Kasi McDonald (UAH) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Akari Miura-Schaub (CU) def. Sippel-Lawton (UAH), 8-2
2. Pacheco-Carvajal (UAH) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Rácz (CU), 8-5
3. Amanda Bevis-McDonald (UAH) def. Johnson-Gaither (CU), 8-2