LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won all three doubles matches and all six singles outings, losing a total of 13 games, and cruising to a 9-0 victory over Bethel University in women’s tennis action Wednesday in McKenzie, Tenn.
The Bulldogs (2-11) ended a four-match losing streak with the victory. Cumberland swept the doubles matches, winning a pair 8-0.
Larissa Akari Miura and Courtney Schaub did not lose a game in defeating Michella Douglas and Paige Martin at No. 1, while Lindsey Gaither and Amber Johnson won by the same score at No. 3 over Alexandria Jackson and Connie Oliver. Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Anita Rácz posted an 8-6 triumph at No. 2 against Erica Peterson and Tori Barraco.
In singles the top three players all did not lose a game in recording victories.
Akari Miura defeated Douglas at No. 1, while Schaub took care of Peterson at No. 2 and Rácz won at No. 3 over Martin. Johnson posted a 6-1, 6-3, victory at No. 4 versus Oliver; Lacerda Bezerra registered a 6-1, 6-0, triumph at No. 5 against Barraco; and Gaither collected a 6-0, 6-2, victory at No. 6 over Jackson.
Cumberland plays at Union College on Friday at Noon before ending the regular season at home on Monday against Western Kentucky at 2 p.m.
Cumberland Univ. 9, Bethel Univ. 0
1. Larissa Akari Miura (CU) def. Michella Douglas (BU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Courtney Schaub (CU) def. Erica Peterson (BU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Anita Rácz (CU) def. Paige Martin (BU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Amber Johnson (CU) def. Connie Oliver (BU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU) def. Tori Barraco (BU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Lindsey Gaither (CU) def. Alexandria Jackson (BU), 6-0, 6-2
1. Akari Miura-Schaub (CU) def. Douglas-Martin (BU), 8-0
2. Lacerda Bezerra- Rácz (CU) def. Peterson-Barraco (BU), 8-6
3. Johnson-Gaither (CU) def. Jackson-Oliver (BU), 8-0