LEBANON, Tenn. – Larissa Akari Miura and Courtney Schaub won a hard-fought doubles matches but Schaub lost in three sets in singles and Cumberland dropped another singles match in a tiebreaker, falling to Western Kentucky, 7-0, in women’s tennis action late Monday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on the CU campus.
Cumberland (2-12) missed a couple of chances to get close in the match with tough losses at No. 2 doubles and Nos. 2 and 3 singles.
Akari Miura and Schaub defeated Monta Reinfelde and McKinley Mason, 9-7, at No. 1 doubles, but WKU’s Katrina Vucina and Alex Crofford won 8-4 at No. 2 over Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Anita Rácz and Megan Stephens and Morgan Freeman posted an 8-2 victory at No. 3 against Amber Johnson and Lindsey Gaither.
In singles Reinfelde defeated Akari Miura, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 1 and Vucina came back to win against Schaub, 5-7, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 2. Mason won a first-set tiebreaker against Rácz at No. 3 and won, 7-6 (6), 6-2, and Crofford posted a 6-4, 6-0, victory at No. 4 over Johnson. Stephens defeated Lacerda Bezerra, 8-5, at No. 5, and Freeman won 8-0 at No. 6 against Gaither. For her efforts Akari Miura was named the Music City Star of the Game.
Cumberland will next play in the NAIA Qualifying Tournament on April 29-30 at The Champions Club in Chattanooga, Tenn.
Western Kentucky 7, Cumberland Univ. 0
1. Monta Reinfelde (WKU) def. Larissa Akari Miura (CU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Katrina Vucina (WKU) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 5-7, 6-2, 6-0
3. McKinley Mason (WKU) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 7-6 (6), 6-2
4. Alex Crofford (WKU) def. Amber Johnson (CU), 6-4, 6-0
5. Megan Stephens (WKU) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 8-5
6. Morgan Freeman (WKU) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 8-0
1. Akari Miura-Schaub (CU) def. Reinfelde-Mason (WKU), 9-7
2. Vucina-Crofford (WKU) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Rácz (CU), 8-4
3. Stephens-Freeman (WKU) def. Johnson-Gaither (CU), 8-2